"George Bush our hero!"

Anyway, in centralist states the government carries much more influence than the local authorities. Especially in small countries like the Netherlands.

True here too. They're less sympathetic when you ask the people, but they're far more influent.

The Iraq crisis is not new any more.

Yes, this one's over, but what's next? Maybe this? The hawks in Washington sure would like to go on a more extensive "warring spree" in the region.

What this comic suggests is not complete science-fiction, you are right. But I guess Bush is aware he should care about national economy before starting any new conflict. Two close conflicts would be bad press outside the US (neocolonization feeling), and inside the US (President not caring of the national problems enough).

But this is only speculation.

bah! all this american self-righteousness makes me wanne puke.

the "open your eyes" phrase from the first page of this thread is quite fitting, yet it was directed at the wrong ones. the people of the united states should finally open their eyes. their country is on a straight road down to nationalism and fascism.

the dixie chicks recieved death threats just because they voiced a critical opinion about their government. susan sarandon and tim robbins got their speeches cancelled at public events because of their opinion.

those are just a few examples of how the united states of america are exactly the opposite of what they claim to be: a free country, where everyone can voice his own opinion. yeah yeah, freedom of speech... just a fairy tale nowadays in the u.s.

Originally posted by MacPain
the dixie chicks recieved death threats just because they voiced a critical opinion about their government. susan sarandon and tim robbins got their speeches cancelled at public events because of their opinion.
Both of those instances were private citizens excersing their right to free speech in saying they don't like something, there was no US Goverment interdiction. Tim Robbins has the right to go somewhere else and speak. With Robbins or Sarandon at your event, you might end up with another distasteful Michael Moore incident so people that hire these actors to entertain are on gaurd.

Like it or not, Michael Moore has become your representative to the world.

Hmmm, "road to fascism" ... well, not quite yet, but one of the moves of wannabe - dicatators is to gain special powers during a crisis and then try to retain them when the crisis is over ... same scenarion since the romans really.

Now Bush did obtain special powers to manage the crisis situation after 9-11, didn't he? And it was proposed, IIRC, to make them permanent, together with the special powers of the entire security apparatus ... I didn't follow the issue closely, can someone tell me if Bush will retain them?
Now that the crisis is mostly over (9-11 a faint memory, Iraq crushed yet again) the US democracy stands a little test: will Bush keep his special powers or not?

Originally posted by habilis
Like it or not, Michael Moore has become your representative to the world.
I can't think of a better representative to the world for the US than Michael Moore. If only there were more people like him (or any) in the American government. The US, and the planet, would be a much safer place.

Monktus (and others):

I doubt the US have the power to make the world a safer place. Even if Moore was President, which would be a complete disaster. He's just as much able to rule the US as the Monty Pythons or MTV Jackass are.

toast, I see what you're saying but I didn't mean it literally. As the dominant force in world politics, the US effects the stability of the world by its policies, foreign and domestic. As interesting as it would be, I wasn't suggesting that Michael Moore be installed as president but that some of his qualities are sorely needed in the people that are elected to govern in the US and throughout the world.

Back