Gestetner Printer port 10001

Timothy Gerges

Registered
Hi,
Recently we aquired a network Gestetner printer. It took me forever to install it on the windows computer, but i finally got it. Windows set the default port to be 900, however, for the printer it should have been 10001, so after finally figuring it out, it works like a dream,..
I tried to install it on the mac, however no luck. It never shows as connected and i cant find anywhere to change the port.
The model is 1302f, i have downloaded the drivers but still nothing
Please help,

The model is 1302f, i have downloaded the drivers but still nothing
Please help,
I have no experience with the Gestetner brand, but as a PostScript printer, this printer should "just work." If it is not working, then you have probably made a simple mistake.

List the steps that you have gone through to install the printer. Be sure to state the communications protocol that you are using to communicate with the printer. I or someone else on this forum should be able to quickly identify what went wrong and to correct it.

Here’s what I do:
I open system Preferences, click on Print and Fax and then on the little plus button.
I select IP printer, use the Hp jet direct socket protocol, Although I have used Internet Printing Protocol and Line Printer Daemon.
I enter the IP address of the printer (192.168.0.170) While I do this it says ‘Gathering printer information’ at the bottom.
The name changes to the IP address and the Print Using selection changes to Generic Post-Scrip printer, (which I have also changed to Gestetner, and the additional drivers I installed).
Then I click add

You have given some irrelevant information (your printer's IP address), but went whizzing past some important information. You say that you tried IPP and LPD. What happened? Why are you concentrating on HP Jet Direct Protocol? Have you downloaded and installed your Gestetner's printer PPD and Printer Utility? If you did, then what happened? If not, then why not?

Nothing happened on either, so i deleted all attempts and tried again, this time, LPD got the printer going, but it would not stop going, the printer kept throwing hundreds of pages of code (not symbols as i have seen before with hp) code that makes sense, but not what i wanted. Pages of not what i wanted.

Then i followed your suggestion and downloaded ppd, now there was the actual driver for the specific printer, but still nothing happened, except on LPD again, which 100 pages later left me with lots of useless code. Printer utility does not pick up any printers

It sounds like PostScript is disabled on your printer. Go through the options on the walk-up control panel to see if this is the case. If it is, then you should enable PostScript.

PostScript is optional for that model, so it could be there simply is no PS available and other ways of driving it must be found. CUPS driver available?

Since postscript is optional, the symptom of printing a bunch of pages sounds like you don't have the postscript option.
Fortunately, the printer comes standard with PCL (HPs page description language). You should try the generic PCL driver HP Laserjet 6 Series Gimp-Print, included in OS X.

It sounds like LPD will work, but if you must use port 10001, after clicking Add in Printer Setup, hold the option key and click More Printers. Select Advanced at the bottom of the first menu, then Appsocket/HP Jetdirect in the second. Fill in the URI like this:
socket://[IP of Printer]:10001

Good luck.

PostScript is optional for that model, ...
Are you sure? At first blush, I would have thought that you were correct. Quite frankly, I was surprised that PostScript was available for this printer. What was even more surprising is that I found no indication on the Gestetner's web site that the printer is available without PostScript. I also searched for a CUPS driver for the 1302f, but found none. If PostScript is installed on the OP's printer, he can enable it via the walk-up control panel. It it is not, then perhaps he can cross-reference the 1302f with other Savin models to find a CUPS driver that works.

Back