Get Info - Open With - Not working

Oakley

Registered
Hi guys,

I recently reinstalled OSX 10.3.9

Some of my file icons are now set to the wrong application.

For instance, text files are now set to open with TextEdit, instead of Textwrangler.

I know how to use Get Info to change the file type of one file, or all files of that type.

Since I've reinstalled the drop down where you select an application refuses to leave the default. The menu drops down, you select an app, and then the menu springs right back to default.

I can change one file, but not all of that type.

Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks for the permissions reminder, just did it.

And thanks for FileGeek as well, got that too.

I'm sure one or the other will do the job, much appreciated.

Use my app, Mac HelpMate, and run the clean caches choice. This will remove/reset the launch services database, which can fix issues like the one you're having.

Oakley said:
Hi guys,

I recently reinstalled OSX 10.3.9

Some of my file icons are now set to the wrong application.

For instance, text files are now set to open with TextEdit, instead of Textwrangler.

I know how to use Get Info to change the file type of one file, or all files of that type.

Since I've reinstalled the drop down where you select an application refuses to leave the default. The menu drops down, you select an app, and then the menu springs right back to default.

I can change one file, but not all of that type.

Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

linguist1 said:
Sorry, what is "Disk Application"?

I'm having the same trouble as Oakley.
He means Disk Utility (In the Utilities folder in Applications)

Thanks for the clarification, ra3ndy. I tried it out, and it didn't work, so I just deleted the offending application (the one my documents kept opening up in). But one can't always do that, of course....

Back