Getting 10.3 for a G5 buyer

Shotokan

Registered
My apologies if this has been covered.

I bought my 1.6 G5 right when they came out at my schools computer store. How do I go about getting the free (19.95) Panther from Apple? Do I have to go through the schools computer shop or can I get it from Apple's website?

Thanks for any help.

i believe you have to have bought it on oct 8 or afterwards to get the free upgrade. i also think this would only be available thru apple.com.

7b85 has been out for a while. I want the upgrade kit from Apple. You know they say, "if you try, make sure you buy" - well I want to support Apple and buy the software. What's wrong with that? ;-)

You know what GM means, right?

Well, in case you don't, it means Gold Master, which means it's a replica of the actual master CD they use to burn all the copies of Panther. They use this term (and these discs) for pretty much all commercial software. Hence, if you have not bought Panther yet, you do not have the GM copy, just the last beta before it.

arden said:
You know what GM means, right?

Well, in case you don't, it means Gold Master, which means it's a replica of the actual master CD they use to burn all the copies of Panther. They use this term (and these discs) for pretty much all commercial software. Hence, if you have not bought Panther yet, you do not have the GM copy, just the last beta before it.
not entirely true, arden. 7B85 was not a beta at all. no matter when you recieved it, or HOW you recieved it, 7B85 was and still IS the same exact copy shipping. the last beta was 7B80. 7B85 is GM, so im guessing he got 7B85 either from a friend or possibly bit torrent :p and now wants to support apple by buying the actual thing (even though its the same).

i commend you

spitty27 said:
not entirely true, arden. 7B85 was not a beta at all. no matter when you recieved it, or HOW you recieved it, 7B85 was and still IS the same exact copy shipping. the last beta was 7B80. 7B85 is GM, so im guessing he got 7B85 either from a friend or possibly bit torrent :p and now wants to support apple by buying the actual thing (even though its the same).

i commend you

Well, in theory, he already owned a Panther license for his G5. He's just now paying for the shipping costs to have media delivered to him. It shouldn't have mattered how he got his original copy, just as if I bought a copy of Panther and lost one of the disks, I could use a backup copy...

Thanks Ripcord and Spitty27. After buying a new G5, I don't really feel bad about getting an early copy of 10.3, especially since I am now buying (19.95) a copy.

Back