Getting "Error loading Operating System"

mail2rajneesh

Registered
Hi,
Urgently need any help that I can get. I have a Macbook - 2GHz, 1 GB RAM - I have also installed Windows XP in a separate partition, which has been working fine for more than a year now.

Yesterday the system(OS X) hanged so I had to to use the power button to shut it down. When I restarted the system initially I got the light blue screen for a very long time and again after restarting with the power button I got the message - "Error loading operating system"

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks
Rajneesh

Are you able to boot on your Windowz partition?

I know nothing about having such, but I assume if you can you have just ruled out a lot of hardware problems--like bad RAM.

Otherwise, grab your installation disks for OS X, boot. If you can boot, see if you can repair your OS X with Disk Utility. Hopefully, that will fix the problem.

If not, see if you can save your data. I have been able to transfer data to an external, to a disk, in such situations. I have even "stuck" it on a separate partition when forced to clean install the main partition. In other words, if you have not "backed everything up" as everyone tells you--but few of us do!--you might be able to "stick" your important data in your Windowz partition. This is just to save it.

Then, if you have to, you can try clean installing the OS X. That should not kill you data, but you at least have that extra bit of security.

--J.D.

Back