Getting Medium Error (Using Toast 6.0)

bkaron

Yep, That's Me!
When I go to burn a DVD using the DVD-ROM udf option I get this error "Sense Key = Medium Error sense Code = 0x73, 0x03 while it is trying to write the lead in" I did a little research and there are two possible reasons for this.

1. "I have bad media" --Can't be true, because I have burned many DVD's with this type of media (ILO DVD-R 8x)

2. "dirty laser or dying laser" --How do I know that this is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

-oh by the way I am using Apple's SuperDrive that came with my PowerBook

bkaron said:
When I go to burn a DVD using the DVD-ROM udf option I get this error "Sense Key = Medium Error sense Code = 0x73, 0x03 while it is trying to write the lead in" I did a little research and there are two possible reasons for this.

1. "I have bad media" --Can't be true, because I have burned many DVD's with this type of media (ILO DVD-R 8x)

2. "dirty laser or dying laser" --How do I know that this is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

-oh by the way I am using Apple's SuperDrive that came with my PowerBook

Well; as for #2; you can get one of those cleaning discs that is approved for DVD/burners/readers, etc...

few things:
1. update toast to 6.1 since you are on tiger
2. did you change the firmware of your superdrive?
3. does the Finder burn DVDs?
4. did you try different media?
I don't think it's related to a dirty lense or so. You would have problems reading DVDs and CDs as well.

It was the media. I just went to Wal-mart and got Maxell DVD-R's

--How do you upgrade the firmware?

Pretty easy: double click the firmware, click through a warning routine, close all apps and wait for some time. My old tibook has a 1xDVD burner and no DVD-RW compatibility. After a firmware hack it started burning DVDs 2x and I am able to burn and erase DVD-RW media. Read more about it HERE.

Back