Getting my vhs tapes to my hard drive (help)

vanguard

Registered
I have a regular camcorder that records to a mini vhs tape. However, I want to play with iMovie.

I asked this question in the IRC board this morning and I was told to get a firewire composite converter. I checked ebay and nothing came up.

Does anybody know anything about this? Can I put my video tape in it and have it converted to some sort of digital format?

My dream device takes a tape, converts it to a digital format, then transfers it via firewire to my mac. Any ideas? Anything close?

Here's the type of hardware you'll be looking for:

http://www.dvdirect.com/Prods/DAZ/5011.htm

I know that there's a few others out there that do similar things, if that doesn' t float yer boat.

I can't really give a review of it though, since I've never used such a product... but at least I can offer a direction for you to start looking.

Good luck!

There are at least three units I have seen to do the conversion. One is made by Sony, there is another by Dazzle and one called I think the Director Cut. I have good things about the Sony box. It was the first one out. They run around $400.

Calliex

the sony box is really nice...

however, have you thought about just buying a mini dv camera? you could route the old cam's video through the dv camera into your computer and that way you wouldn't have to buy a one purpose box and all your video from here on out will dv!

you can find dv cams for around 550 new... (jvc and pansonic both have models that low priced now) or you could probably find a used one for less...

the converter box from sony IS the best out there, but it is expenisve for a one trick pnoy, IMHO.

Exactly what Rinse said, my folks used a Sony Hi-8 for lilke 6 years (until the old man thought it would be cool to ski with it .. long story). There were actually some sweet videos, but it's so true, we never watched them. Last semester I got tipped off that the school's communications/reporting dept had Power Macs with iDVD and Super Drives. To make a long story short I talked myself into the lab and was able to transfer all the old Hi-8 tapes from the old Sony to my MiniDV, and from there straight into the Power Mac where I could goof around with iMovie and even Final Cut Pro. Burned a couple DVDs and sent them to the folks, best (and least expensive) Christmas gift I've ever given them BY FAR.

That really doesn't answer your question, but since we were on the subject I thought I'd play story-teller. :p

Back