Getting new workstation, DUAL XEON or DUAL G4?

ctaborda

Registered
Hi everyone this is really URGENT, please,
listen I need a new machine for MAYA work and for all my work, like after effects, bryce, photoshop, illustrator and like alot of video editing too..

(please note " its "NOT" for gaming, no games at all.)

Well I can get a macintosh
A DUAL 1.42ghz (2 meg of Kcache) and 2gb of RAM.
(its got a dvd burner, a 128 meg video card (ati 9700), a 120 gigabyte hard drive)
OR
a

DUAL XEON 2.66ghz (1meg of cache (both together)), and 1 gb of ram (regular 48x cdrom, 64meg video card)

WHAT WOULD YOU GET AND WHY?

Why MAC? Why Not PC?

Why PC? WHY NOT MAC?!

PLEASE!
Thanks!
Carlos.

Originally posted by ctaborda
Hi everyone this is really URGENT, please,
listen I need a new machine for MAYA work and for all my work, like after effects, bryce, photoshop, illustrator and like alot of video editing too..

(please note " its "NOT" for gaming, no games at all.)

Well I can get a macintosh
A DUAL 1.42ghz (2 meg of Kcache) and 2gb of RAM.
(its got a dvd burner, a 128 meg video card (ati 9700), a 120 gigabyte hard drive)
OR
a

DUAL XEON 2.66ghz (1meg of cache (both together)), and 1 gb of ram (regular 48x cdrom, 64meg video card)

WHAT WOULD YOU GET AND WHY?

Why MAC? Why Not PC?

Why PC? WHY NOT MAC?!

PLEASE!
Thanks!
Carlos.

You want people around here to reply based on the hardware only? This is strange... The correct question should be: I want to run this and that app or I want to use this kind of software in general or my work focuses on this area (or these areas)... Which platform will serve me the best?

Until then, I go back at my silence... :cool:

Originally posted by ctaborda
Well, running, Maya, Softimage, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash.

SoftImage I think that it doesn't exist for Macs... Maya has its higher end versions Wintel exclusive and from Pros I keep hearing that all those apps run faster on Wintels with the exception of Photoshop which in some cases is faster than Wintels... But I think a Dual Mac is still more efficient for these kind of apps because you can multitask better having open many apps doing their stuff including interaction with hardware (I/O stuff)...

Although, biased towards Macs mostly, here is an interesting web page:
http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

One other thing is that maybe if you go Mac you will not fall into problems like viruses, security holes, worms, etc.

We just bought two 3.06 GHz Xeon Dells. They are very fast to me (I'm comparing this with a 450 MHz G4.) However, I simply hate working with Windows XP. Everything to me seems really awkward. That's the main reason I'm a Mac user.

Just by sheer RAM size alone, I would get the 2MB Mac over the 1MB PC any day of the week. Are you more familiar with either system, Mac or PC? That would really be the deciding factor. Though Macs are used by, "only 3% of the computer world," that 3% sure comes up with a lot of amazing content; take the STAR WARS and Matrix movies, for instance. I think they use Macs quite a bit for those. ILM, Industrial Light and Magic would be a good reference to check out to see what equipment they use. Here's a web link I found: http://www.ilm.com

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Anything to do with graphics is done better on a Mac. Just ask the Disney company :)

Back