Getting ready to clear the drive

Hunter

Registered
Sorry about filling up the newsgroup. I promise I'll shut up after this. :)

Anyway: I am hoping to reformat my drive soon. This may be a useless question with the growth of support for OS X, but:

If I format my drive as a single volume and install OS X onto it, then install OS 9 onto the same drive for classic, will I be able to choose to boot FROM that OS 9 system folder if I choose to?

Presently, I've broken my drive into two partitions, with OS X foolishly on the small, 2 gig partition. I thouight I'd be sneaky and install everything on the other, 16 gig partition where OS 9 was installed, but a lot of programs just don't take kindly to being moved.

I also wonder if I'll have problems unless I specifically install the iBook CD's copy of OS 9 because of the Mac OS ROM file that used to cause me so much grief in the past.

Anyway, my system specs:

Single USB iBook, Blueberry. (You gotta note the color! ;))
Updated Firmware
18 Gig Drive, Presently partitioned:
• 2 Gigs for OS X (HFS+)
• 16 Gigs for OS 9 and all installed files, carbon, cocoa, or classic.
...and that's all I can think of that matters. :)

Thanks for your help.

Hunter

I wouldn't imagine you having any problems with doing what your suggesting. It should all just work. Try it, and if it don't, you know where to come ! hehe

But i really don't see you having any problems doing what you want. I didn with my iMac ( my experimentation machine ! hehe) .....no problems.

Firstly, OS X and OS 9 can happily coexist in bootable fashion on the same partition because they use different system folder names. OS X uses "System" while OS 9 uses "System Folder". So there is no problem having them both on the same Partition.

Secondly, you should be able to use other OS 9s than the one provided with your iBook, as long as they are MORE RECENT than that one. If your iBook (Blueberry, cool!) came with 9.04 than you need at least that to install. 9.1 will work, but 9.0 will not. I'm sure you understand by now.

yes, it will work without any problems when you are using only OS X and 9.
If you boot from an older system like OS 8.5, than you can't select your OSX/9 drive for startup disk. In other words, the startup disk control panel from OS8.6 or lower doesn't work with the OS X/9 systems on one drive.

beefpile

Back