Getting Static IP and need help

OK, I'm switching from earthlink DSL (I know, I love them but they want >US$15/mo to give e a static IP) to DirecTV DSL. They offer static IP included in the price. and their home networking package, which will link all 8 of my boxes with my existing 12 port hub, is only US$9.99/mo with a built-in firewall (can't be too safe - 2 firewalls are better than one I guess) as opposed to Earthlink's US$10 something plus you have to buy their hub which only supports 5 machines.

Now my question(s):

I want to run my own mail and web server from one of my macs. Could you guys give me some pointers, instructions or point me in the right direction so I can suss out how to do it, do it efficiently, and do it safely???

Please...

Just think. All you Wolfy fans. We could have one of my boxes as a game server for return to wolfenstein... Just for us.

Running a web server is the easiest task out of the things you want to set up. To do this, launch your system preferences, select the Sharing control panel, and click the "Start" button under the Web Sharing section. Now you'll be serving files from http://your-ip-address/ Files you'll see there live under /Library/WebServer/Documents

Here's a few good articles which will let you implement more features in Apache (your web server software).

As for running an email server, sendmail is built-into OS X. However it's a nasty beast, and it doesn't like you. If you still wanna play, search these forums for sendmail help, or again take a look at O'Reilly.

If you're behind a firewall, you have to keep in mind that you're going to have to specifically open ports to allow the rest of the internet to see your web/email server. Your game server will also need ports (UDP ports?) opened up.

thanks tons.

One ?:

how can I use my existing domains (www.jadeyrulez.com, for example) so that I don't have to say, "hey visit me at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx!"

I'll delve into those links as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again!:)

Back