Ghost style backups across a 9/X Network

stizz

gorilla beta tester
I need a surefire way to make a complete (bootable) disk image so that I can swap hard drives and copy the image to get the boss's mac back up and running in event of an emergency.
This mac is a dual 1.25 G4, and removing X from it was tricky. Regardless, it sits alone as the only OS9 mac in our network.
It ONLY has 9 on it, the tech responsible for it's install made a big to-do about not wanting X on the system, since it is a composers machine and every body in the music industry is scarred of X (cowards). It's in my best interest not to even mention OSX and that mac in the same breathe.

Carbon Copy Cloner does not make copies off a network, and since this machine only runs 9 anyway, I cant run CCC from the target machine anyway.

Unless,...

I make a custom bootable X CD with CCC and use that to let me run CCC on the target machine.

or

I do a custom install on a firewire drive of X (don't know if this is possible), and boot the target machine with it, then proceed to make my image from there.

or

Is there a way to make the dual 1.25 g4 act as an external drive via target disk mode (like a powerbook would)? So I can just mount the drive in question from my machine?

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated. Hopefully this is in the right forum.

Burn a copy of your System Folder using Toast. Do whatever with it, remove unnecessary files, etc. (in Toast) and select either Macintosh OS or Mac OS & PC Hybrid to burn it as. You can not make a bootable HFS+ disc, so don't select either Extended option.

You must do the Toast burning while booted into OS9 or the proper boot blocks will not be written to the CD (and the CD won't boot your Mac).

soo....what we did to solve the problem:

We downloaded BootCD and Carbon Copy Cloner from versiontracker.com.
We then made a custom bootable OSX CD with CCC on it using BootCD.
Then we booted the 9 only machine from this disk, and created an ASR capable disk image of that machines main Drive using CCC. This image was saved onto a firewire drive. In the event of an emergency, we boot off a 9.2.2 cd, run ASR, and point it to our saved image on the firewire drive. ARS wipes the destination drive and puts our image's contents on it. Thats it. We found no way to do this over the network however.

Back