"Ghost" User account

Bob Donaldson

Registered
I just upgraded an iBook from OSX.2 Jaguar to OSX.4 Tiger.

The new log on screen shows a User account (named "Other") long ago deleted from the computer under Jaguar, including the disk image from the Users folder.

It does not show up in the Accounts System Preferences, nor in NetInfo Manager > Users.

I'd like to be rid of this annoyance. Can anyone suggest where to find the culprit so I can delete it?

Check in System Preferences/Accounts Pane, under "Log-In" Options. it sounds like you have its set so you can click on a list, and the computer most likely has the root account enabled so it gets added to the list as "Other". If you need to turn off the root account you can do so NetInfo Manager application. Or you can just set the login to not allow you to choose from a list.

The root user was NOT enabled when I checked, but the person who I upgraded it for told me that the root user was enabled by a service person long ago, then disabled again, when it was running Jaguar.

I suspect this happened because of the other "ghost" account than suddenly appeared after I upgraded the iBook to Tiger. I was able to nuke it in NetInfo Manager. But "Other" remains.

I changed the Log On so the list won't show, so the user won't be tempted to play with it.

Thanks for your reply...

Back