Gif images problems

Well, I think you will get more useful information from the more technically inclined.

I had erroneously assumed that "Trash" would show up as some folder somewhere in your disk. You might then have the ability to pull out the files or at least copy them and send them where you want.

Apparently this is not the case. Someone else might know where "Trash" is when you do this; I could not find it.

Anyway can you screen capture what you see when you click on a file in "Trash" and "Get Info?" Particularly the part on "Sharing & Permissions?"

I can do that to files in 10.5.5. It might give some people some ideas.

--J.D.

Sue,

I take it those recalcitrant gifs are still on your Desktop?

Drag one from your Desktop over the Safari or Firefox or whichever browser you like to use. The browser page will load the gif and you should see it in the top left corner. Next move is to drag it off the web browser and back onto your Desktop. You may be asked to overwrite the original. You have a choice then, of renaming the gifs prior to dragging them onto Safari icon so that when you drag the gif from Safari window back to your Desktop, it won't overwrite the original.

Here's what I'm hoping for ... the new gif won't be so damn stubborn and you can put it in your Pictures folder and trash the rebels once and for all ....

If that fails epically, you could try dragging them onto the iPhoto icon in your Dock. If they are imported then they will already be in your Pictures folder and well take it from there.

I had erroneously assumed that "Trash" would show up as some folder somewhere in your disk. You might then have the ability to pull out the files or at least copy them and send them where you want.
The trash is a folder in your home directory (as well as other places). It's named ".Trash". Files & folders with names beginning '.' (dot or period) are invisible in Unix (and Finder), but the fact that it's there is why i told Sue to use the command: ls -l ~/.Trash

In Terminal, the 'ls' command will include all of the invisible (dot) files if you use the '-a' option. So, if you wanted to get a long listing of files including the invisible ones, you would use 'ls -la'. ;)

To see the '.' files from Finder you would have to turn on viewing of invisible files for your account. There are various ways of doing it, but that's another topic. (The Dashboard widget called 'hiddenfiles' is about as simple as you can get)

Last edited:
Whoa!

Doctor X
inadvertently suggested the most obvious solution if you haven't tried already! Don't know why it wasn't the first thing to come to my mind.

Have you tried just opening the trash, copying the files, and pasting them into the Pictures folder or onto the desktop? What happens if you just drag them to the Pictures folder with the option key held?

If permissions were messed up, they wouldn't be on the copy!

Along the same lines, loading and saving GIFs usually* doesn't negatively affect their quality so you could load the images into say, Preview, and then use 'Save As' to save new copies wherever you want.

If those things don't work, there must be a larger problem.

I thought she could not pull files out of the trash to copy to the Desktop or anywhere else. I do wonder if she were to try as one poster suggested dragging them directly to an open browser to see if the browser opens the file. She can then save that file.

This is all guess-work on my part. I am new to things like Terminal.

--J.D.

Hi Everybody I have tried all the suggestions - I can copy the gif files but it will not paste into the image folder

Dragged into my iPhoto which it accepted the one if dragged in, but when I dragged the gif image to my desk top it arrived as a jpg and not a gif image.

Somebody I know suggested that I needed to re-install Photoshop CS3? Do you think this will help?

regards

Sue

Curiouser and curiouser.

I can't imagine what an installation of CS3 could possibly have to do with you being able to move images - or any other files - around in your file system whether CS3 had some type of problem or not.

Have you tried the suggestions to display the images in a browser or Preview? What about Quick-Look? Will they load into/display in any application? (i.e. can you obtain proof these files are still valid GIF files which aren't damaged beyond recovery?)

Are the files locked (via the checkbox in the "Get Info" window)?

If you have read and write permissions for both the 'Pictures" folder and the images, such as:

drwx------+ 108 username staff 3.6K Sep 13 19:50 Pictures

-rw-r--r--@ 1 username staff 1.3K Jul 7 04:38 someimage.gif
_____com.apple.FinderInfo 32B

There shouldn't be any reason you can't move or especially copy the images to the 'Pictures' folder.

I think some additional info is needed here about the images, or the system, to solve this long distance.

Attachments

• gi.jpg
    gi.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi Everyone

You must be wondering why I have not responded to your latest suggestions.

Well I decided to bring in somebody I know from my Apple User Group to assist me on the ground.

His assessment was that the gif images that I moved from the image folder to the trash were images that were stored not any any folder ,but a Smart folder. As a result of being a smart folder there is no way they can be re-instated.

What he has done was re-installed Leopard 10.5.5 plus Photoshop CS3. His theory is that these gif images are from my software applications on my computer and they now been moved out of place - that re-installing these applications will solve the problem. Being that all the gif images are in place in the new installations. He said that should there be any further problems due to the movement of the gif images from the Smart folder - will have to be dealt with should further issues come up.

Lets pray that the issue has been solved.

Thank you all for your time and effort in assisting me.

regards

Sue

That seems to make sense. :D

It now seems like a boo-boo that nobody asked what kind of images they were. Might have given away the fact that they were from apps.

Good luck.

Now if i could get a satisfactory answer to my question. It was an "Is there a way i can..." type question that brought me to this forum. Didn't get even one reply! :(

But from other sources i found out the basic answer is "no."

I apologise - but I am unsure what you mean" Is there a way i can...."type type question that brought me to this forum".

Be grateful if you could expand on this.

regards

Sue

Back