gigahertz cordless phone and airport

ssiva

Registered
I have a sony 2.4 GHz phone (model # spp-a2480) and have been using it near a network using an airport transmitter. I have had no problems using both simultaneously for almost 1 year now. However about 3 days ago everytime the phone is being used, I lose my airport connection completely. A few momements after the phone is hung up I get my airport connection back. The airport is connected to a router that is connected to a pc, and my iMac flatpanel receives the airport signal. Why the sudden change? I have looked in the sony phone instruction book but can find nothing about changing the channel it uses (it apparently has 24 channels)

Help!

Siva Sripada

You can change the channel on your Airport base station. This might help.
Otherwise, unplugging the phone for a while might let it reset itself.

I live at a college that has a 98% wireless network and we have a policy that prohibits 2.4 GHz phones on campus because they cause so much interference.

I'm really not sure that changing the channel will have much (if any) effect on your connection. While your phone has 12 channels, your airport only has 11 (so there is only possibly one channel that the phone could be on that won't interfere) and the airport card will channel hop based on channels being busy or which has the best signal to noise ratio.

One thing to ask yourself is where is your phone in relation to your computer? I've known people that have used 2.4 GHz phones on campus w/o it affecting their computer (for extremely long periods of time, much to the annoyance of their neighbors). The reason was because the phone was not in the line of sight between their computer and the base station. However other people in the building were being effected every time the phone was in use (because the phone was between their computer and the access point).

The only real "solution" to the problem is to get out of the 2.4 GHz bandwidth ie. Get Airport Extreme...it is 5 GHz and won't cause interference or (I know this "sux" but...) get a 900 MHz phone...from what I hear (from someone explaining the physics behind EM waves) they (should) get better reception and longer range anyway.

Back