Gimp Print/epson C42us Problems

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Greetings,
I'm experiencing some odd problems with my Epson printer and Gimp Print. For instance, the printer wants to know if I want a given job added to the que (sp), even when there aren't any jobs waiting to be printed. The printer also prints last page first, first page last, unless I specifically instruct it otherwise. I thought these problems might be due to a corrupted GimpPrint, but when I attempt to reload GP, the last step (after I enter my password) informs me that the software cannot be installed, and to try again. This of course, doesn't work. Is the problem with the installation of Tiger over Panther, is GP corrupted somehow, or what? I've thought about reinstalling Tiger, but am unclear about how to back up my documents and photos. I have an eMac, btw.
Your help is much appreciated.

The 'C42Series.plugin' file is not installed with 'Tiger', as it is with 'Panther'.

Visit someone with 'Panther' (and the EPSON drivers) installed.
Go to their Mac's '/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder, and archive the 'C42Series.plugin' file. Copy it ('C42Series.plugin.zip') to a USB storage device (USB RAM disk, Thumb drive, etc.).
On your 'Tiger' based Mac, copy the 'C42Series.plugin.zip' file to your '/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder, and double click on it.

Or, you can insert 'Panthers' 'Mac OS X Install Disc 2' into a Mac, and via 'Terminal' ('/Applications/Utilities' folder) enter

"mkdir ~/Desktop/Archive/; cp /Volumes/'Mac OS X Install Disc 2'/Packages/EpsonPrinterDrivers1.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz ~/Desktop/Archive/Archive.pax.gz"

(omitting the double quote marks) and press the <return>' key.
On the 'Desktop' will be a folder titled 'Archive', and in it a 124 MB file titled 'Archive.pax.gz'.
If not at home - copy the 'Archive' folder to a USB storage device (USB RAM disk, Thumb drive, etc.) and then copy it (the 'Archive' folder) to your Mac's 'Desktop'. Then double click on 'Archive.pax.gz.
If at home (with the 'Mac OS X Install Disc 2' disc), double click on the 'Archive' folder's 'Archive.pax.gz' file. Once the de-compression process is completed, locate the 'C42Series.plugin' file in the 'Archive/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder, and drag it to your Mac's '/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder.

Now you have a real EPSON C42 driver instead of Apple's beta Gimp driver.

----

'Tiger' 10.4.x - pay more, get less ('Tiger' does not install 'Internet Explorer', 'StuffIt Expander', and not all the printer drivers of 'Panther' - to name but a few).

The 'C42Series.plugin' file is not installed with 'Tiger', as it is in 'Panther'.

Visit someone with 'Panther' (and the EPSON drivers) installed.
Go to their Mac's '/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder, and archive the 'C42Series.plugin' file. Copy it ('C42Series.plugin.zip') to a USB storage device (USB RAM disk, Thumb drive, etc.).
On your 'Tiger' based Mac, copy the 'C42Series.plugin.zip' file to your '/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder, and double click on it.

Or, you can insert 'Panthers' 'Mac OS X Install Disc 2' into a Mac, and via 'Terminal' ('/Applications/Utilities' folder) enter ...

"mkdir ~/Desktop/Archive/; cp /Volumes/'Mac OS X Install Disc 2'/Packages/EpsonPrinterDrivers1.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz ~/Desktop/Archive/Archive.pax.gz"

... (as a single line of code and omitting the double quote marks) and press the <return>' key.
On the 'Desktop' will be a folder titled 'Archive', and in it a 124 MB file titled 'Archive.pax.gz'.
If not at home - copy the 'Archive' folder to a USB storage device (USB RAM disk, Thumb drive, etc.) and then copy it (the 'Archive' folder) to your Mac's 'Desktop'. Then double click on 'Archive.pax.gz' to de-compress the file.
If at home (with the 'Mac OS X Install Disc 2' disc), double click on the 'Desktop's 'Archive' folder's 'Archive.pax.gz' file - to de-compres the file.
Once the de-compression process is completed, locate the 'C42Series.plugin' file in the 'Archive/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder, and drag it to your Mac's '/Library/Printers/EPSON/' folder.

Now you have a real EPSON C42 driver instead of Apple's beta Gimp driver.

----

'Tiger' 10.4.x - pay more, get less ('Tiger' does not install 'Internet Explorer', 'StuffIt Expander', and all the printer drivers of 'Panther' - to name but a few).

Back