Gimp Print...

Lazzo

Registered
...and a big YEEEHAAA to the developers!

Installation of both Gimp and Ghostscript was a piece of cake and although the print dialogues are a bit fiddly and take a bit of getting used to, we now have the workhorse 1520 on the OSX tramlines with jolly good output.

And it doesn't keep suddenly disappearing, either:D

(Of course, it may just be for me that all this works!)

Anybody else using this software have any/many probs?

GP is a masterwork. It saved my life. My office's always had Epson color printers and I never, ever had one that could print decently with Epson's own drivers since 1995. Now I have a StylusColor 3000 and when I installed Jaguar I found out the OSX drivers were still in development at Epson with an undetermined release date. If I wanted to print, I had to boot in 9.2.2 and still I got crappy printing. Then I found out about GP, installed it (no probs at all) and I get great output in X, with no Epson drivers installed. Buh-bye, Epson, take your time releasing those OS X drivers. Just don't be surprised if you get zero downloads.

It's a bit odd really - Epson must have had to write UNIX drivers for all their models over the years, surely?

If that's so, what's their problem? I have raised issues like this in emails, snail-mail and phone calls to Epson, but a reply is a rare thing and when there is one, it's "no information at present".

They could at least recommend GP for unsupported models on their website.

[EDIT] Oh, and the knowledge base on making GP output properly is immense!

GP is the only software that made my Epson 785 EPX print correctly. It would have been a waste of money for the printer if they were not out.

OK then....found a few pople using Epsons and GP...sweet!

So, has anyone noticed a difference in colors when printing with the Jag drivers vs. printing with GP? I left my SP 820 installed with the Jag drivers and set up GP as a seperate printer, just so I could have both.

I got a VERY different color cast with GP...and nothing like I thought was going to come out of the printer. But I still love GP, it really came through. So has anyone else noticed this? I know where the color settings are in the dialogue box for tweaking, but I have been avoiding this because the paper I print photos to is pricey, so I don't do a lot of proofing just to see...but I think I may need to soon. If color is critical, I just jump into OS9 and print from there.

But if anyone has experienced the color difference and been able to get around it, I would love some pointers.

Thanks,
Eddie

Vard,

I'd also suggest asking the same question on the Gimp-Print website. I'm sure they have a forum or at least an email address for the webmaster.

Typically, prints are slightly darker than with the regular drivers. As Vard says, we can tweak the settings in the Print Features dialogue but there's a lot[b/] of settings and that's a hell of a lot of paper to waste!

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 24
Back