Glitch in Panther

Reality

Registered
Mac users are roaring in rage because of a nasty installment glitch that erases data on external hard drives.

After upgrading to Mac OS X 10.3, better known as Panther, they are finding external FireWire drives are no longer recognized by the host machine. In many cases, all the data the drives stores are also gone.
--------------------------------------------------------

This has been making it's way around the net, any of you guys hear of this?
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,61031,00.html

I thought this was old news?! It seems to be a problem with the Oxford chipset or something. Fixes are appearing but not exclusively from Apple (which we would presume will be in 10.3.1)

Old news. Apple has a
statement about it on their Panther page.

Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Apple is working with Oxford Semiconductor and affected drive manufacturers to resolve this issue which resides in the Oxford 922 chip-set.

In the interim, Apple recommends that you do not use these drives. To stop using the drive, you should unmount or eject the disk drive before doing anything else. Please check this web page for further updates.

Update 11/4/2003:
Apple and Oxford Semiconductor have confirmed that firmware version 1.05 resolves the data loss issue experienced by some FW800 users. FireWire disk drive manufacturers have begun posting firmware updates:

Century Global
Ezquest
Firewire Depot
Firewire Direct
Glyph
Lacie
Macpower
Other World Computing
TransIntl
Wiebetech
Only use the updater provided by the maker of your drive and follow the installation instructions carefully. If your drive manufacturer is not listed, contact them for more information.

This message, third party links and related information are provided by Apple for information purposes only, without representation and warranty of any kind. Apple expressly disclaims any liability relating to the use of this message, third party links and related information. Any questions regarding third party support should be directed to the appropriate third party.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/firewire800specialmessage.html

AH I see, ok cool then. I wasn't aware of the age of the report. I simply seen it posted like it happened yesterday and assumed it was new. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I have no clue who Oxford is, but it seems the talk has been about 800 firewire drives -- my external drive is based on the 400 firewire format so does that mean I don't have to worry about this issue?

Thanks

Conrado

Back