"Global" file re-associations don't work for all

hazmat

Rusher of Din
So I am much happier using JView to open jpegs and gifs than Preview, due to Preview's problem with some sizes. I hit the "Change All" button on a jpeg to attempt to associate all jpegs to JView. It works on some, but not on others. I also tried it with XRay. STILL there are some jpegs that will still open with Preview. What the hell is going on here? Isn't there some central location to go and make OS X open EVERY jpeg with JView? Another problem is that Mail opens jpegs with Preview. This is driving me crazy. :)

The "Change All..." feature is a little more specific than you think. It's based on 3 types of metadata: file type, creator, and filename extension.

So when you press "Change All..." for one combination, it won't apply to other combinations, even though the icon in the Finder appears the same. There is also the case when one type of metadata doesn't exist, and I believe that Mac OS X treats this as a separate combination as well.

So you can see that "Change All..." really isn't changing all of the assignments. It would be nice to assign a particular entry in a piece of metadata to a certain application no matter what the other pieces are, though.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I just have to keep on trying until every one opens in JView. This is really ridiculous I think. And since file/creator type is such a touchy subject in Mac OS, I guess this won't be changed in 10.2.

it would probably be pretty easy to do something like
sudo find / -type f -exec if [ `GetFileInfo -t {} ` -eq JPEG ]\; then SetFile -c JVIEW \; fi \;

and then:
sudo find / -name '*.jpeg' '*.jpg' -exec SetFile -c JVIEW {} \;

i don t know what the correct type code and creator code are for jpegs and Jview, but you can subsitute them in. i guess there would be a third command to do all the files with the creator code. that first one does type code, the second does file extension.

Back