Gmail & Mail 4.2

PBear

Registered
What do I need to do to keep Mail from downloading all my mail (couple thousand) now that I've upgraded to OS X 10.6.2?
I used Gmail's instructions in setting up Mail when I had OS X Tiger on my PBG4. I then used Migration Assistant when I got my MBP with 10.5 Leopard.
TIA

If you had Gmail IMAP setup in Leopard, Mail is just going to upgrade your email database to Snow Leopard and show whatever you had before, with the same account setup.

Thanks earthsaver. Mail upgraded fine without downloading any of the old messages. It's weird because all the old messages were being downloaded when I had SL on an external drive.

When you had SL on an external, was it an upgrade from something else or a new install? As a fresh install with Mail not previously setup, all your mail would naturally download. As an upgrade, the existing preferences and indexes are already in place, and Mail is using them to guide its behavior.

I found that with Leopard my Mails etup my gmail to download over POP.
In Snow Leopard, Mail automatically set it up as IMAP. So maybe you used to use POP and now using IMAP which would download ALL your emails from the server.

Go to Mail's settings and change the incoming mail server to pop.gmail.com rather than imap.gmail.com.

TBH i only skimmed over this thread so guessing this is what youre wanting to do. Itll stop all your old mail downloading anyway.

Thank you Madelin for taking the time to reply. SL might've set Mail to IMAP on the external, can't find out now since I cloned my internal HDD to the external before upgrading it to SL. I just checked Mail's settings and all my accounts are using POP.

Back