gmp on OSXPB

Glen Bowers

Registered
So, who's having luck installing GNU's Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library? I've attempted an install, but I get errors. ./configure seems to go fine, but make hoarfs with these errors:
<tt>
Making install in mpn
Making install in tests
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
m4 -DPIC -DOPERATION_add_n add_n.asm >tmp-add_n.s
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile cc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -DOPERATION_add_n -g tmp-add_n.s -o add_n.lo
cc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -DOPERATION_add_n -g tmp-add_n.s -o add_n.o
tmp-add_n.s:38:parameter syntax error (parameter 2)
tmp-add_n.s:39:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:40:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:41:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:42:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:44:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:45:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:46:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:47:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:49:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:50:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:51:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:52:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:55:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:56:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:57:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:58:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:60:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:61:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:62:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:63:parameter syntax error (parameter 1)
tmp-add_n.s:66:Junk character -1 (<caron>).
make[2]: *** [add_n.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
</tt>
Suggestions anyone? I'm not sure which of the myriad of compilation options to play with. Any help would be cool.

ok, well I've had a little luck installing this, but not completely. I've ran configure with the flag --target=none and that seemed to compile everything. however a make check gives these errors:<br>
<tt>cc -g -o t-mul t-mul.o ../../.libs/libgmp.a
/usr/bin/ld: archive: ../../.libs/libgmp.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
make[3]: *** [t-mul] Error 1
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
</tt>
I've found that my initial problem had to with trying to compile assembler stuff. The GMP configurator gives the options to compile for specific processors. In general what should I be picking when I have that option? I've got a dual powerpc G4 450. The choices usually go something like this: <b>* POWER: `power1', `power2', `power2sc', `powerpc', `powerpc64'</b>
<br>ideas, suggestions?

Originally posted by Glen Bowers
ok, well I've had a little luck installing this, but not completely. I've ran configure with the flag --target=none and that seemed to compile everything. however a make check gives these errors:<br>
<tt>cc -g -o t-mul t-mul.o ../../.libs/libgmp.a
/usr/bin/ld: archive: ../../.libs/libgmp.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
make[3]: *** [t-mul] Error 1
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
</tt>
I've found that my initial problem had to with trying to compile assembler stuff. The GMP configurator gives the options to compile for specific processors. In general what should I be picking when I have that option? I've got a dual powerpc G4 450. The choices usually go something like this: <b>* POWER: `power1', `power2', `power2sc', `powerpc', `powerpc64'</b>
<br>ideas, suggestions?

I'm pretty sure powerpc will do the trick.

F-bacher

Well unfortunately that did not do the trick. If I configure it for powerpc it gives me the same errors as my original post. The same goes for powerpc64...

glenbo,

don't know anything about your problem but i think your tag's pretty cool. I figured it out.

peter

Back