go for Microsoft's market, Apple told...

I see Apple making moves to make its hardware dual use as opposed to porting its own OS to other hardware. The iPod, the firtst Appple hardware to work with another OS and a huge success as a result. iSight, trivial yes but another example. The Xserve Raid is compatible with windoze and Linux and offered at a third of the price per GB of storage. They are also porting individual Apps to other OS's to increase interoperability with the Mac OS and give those users a feel for Mac software. For many windoze users, iTunes is the first piece of Apple software they have ever used. The new version of AIM uses Apple software in the background and provides interoperabilty with Apple's own iChatAV. iLife next (bundled with new HP's)?

Linux for the powerpc platform - Yellow dog, Darwin etc... When can we buy a mobo with a powerpc chip or two on it direct from IBM or Apple? Download Yellow dog or Darwin. Build your own PPc box. There is a market here for the hardware. Heads up IBM and Apple. Apple could offer a cheap box without the GUI. Both Apple and IBM would gain from greater adoption of PPc chips. I do not see how this would harm the Apple Mac product line. The people who build their own boxes are not the same as the people who buy Macs. The linux crowd just hates windoze. They do not like to pay for software. But given time they could be Mac users. Stop keeping the PPc exclusive to the Apple desktop GUI and IBM blade servers. Set it free. See what happens.

speedfreak said:
They are also porting individual Apps to other OS's...

This is continuing strategy for Apple. Think of it like this: Apple are competing on several fronts. To get iTunes working on a pc, you need to install Quicktime.

If Apple move the likes of iChat across, I'm sure the same will apply .. or if it doesn't, they might just make it so it does!

Quicktime is a big potential growth area for Apple, these 'killer' applications make use of it and as a result grow Quicktime adoption...

speedfreak said:
Linux for the powerpc platform - Yellow dog, Darwin etc... When can we buy a mobo with a powerpc chip or two on it direct from IBM or Apple? Download Yellow dog or Darwin. Build your own PPc box. There is a market here for the hardware. Heads up IBM and Apple. Apple could offer a cheap box without the GUI. Both Apple and IBM would gain from greater adoption of PPc chips. I do not see how this would harm the Apple Mac product line. The people who build their own boxes are not the same as the people who buy Macs. The linux crowd just hates windoze. They do not like to pay for software. But given time they could be Mac users. Stop keeping the PPc exclusive to the Apple desktop GUI and IBM blade servers. Set it free. See what happens.

Didn't IBM do this with CHRP? Could be wrong...

octane said:
Didn't IBM do this with CHRP? Could be wrong...

Yes but with the power 3 chips and they were complete systems. How about just a mobo w/ G5 processors product for the build it yourself types? Mostly to propogate the ppc presence in the marketplace and drive quantities up and production costs down. Intel and AMD are inexpensive because of the volumes they sell. M$ is even thinking of using the ppc in xbox. That's moving in the right direction, isn't it? Who's to say longhorn won't run on ppc and x86-64?

speedfreak said:
... M$ is even thinking of using the ppc in xbox. That's moving in the right direction, isn't it?

I think it's more than just a thought...

speedfreak said:
Who's to say longhorn won't run on ppc and x86-64?

Personally, I can't see much of a commercial reason for that.

Besides, Microsoft have their work cut out just getting Longyawn out of the door this decade with a feature set comparable to OS X 10.3 .. never mind hardware agnosticism... :D

Back