God I Want a Power Mac G5!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
I want a G5 so badly, those things are sounding so nice. I will get like three when January comes around!

... to take reports of G5s coming out at MWSF this January with a bag of salt. We don't want a repeat of the flat-panel iMac thing, now do we?

hay simX was that a subtle plug for my band? Thanks man! :)

I agree with the rumor mill theory. Im just playing around. Hey i just remembered, this is my 200th post !! Woohoo!
Thansk for the inspiration to post simX!

After reading that register article I felt very excited to get my new Mac , and then i looked at my current setup and almost shed a tear becauase i am not ready to abandon it yet. Its so personalized and a part of me. (like all macs are for us)

Please, help me think of a use for my current G4 for when i get my G5. I am definitely keeping this baby. Maybe set it up as a OSX server for some low traffic web sites or just as a server of some kind. I dont know. it just makes me sad that it is appearing to be old already. Seriously, it makes me sad.

Please, help me think of a use for my current G4 for when i get my G5. I am definitely keeping this baby. Maybe set it up as a OSX server for some low traffic web sites or just as a server of some kind. I dont know. it just makes me sad that it is appearing to be old already. Seriously, it makes me sad.

swizcore,

You don't know what old is. I have a Blue & White G3, 500MHz with 768MB RAM. It performs fine every day. If you're concerned about what your G4 can do after the G5s come out, it could be used as a door stop, foot stool, [expensive] paper weight, and an [expensive] air purifier (just like the ones on TV that clean by ionizing the air). On the more practical side... a web surfing machine, an MP3 player with thousands of your songs, a web server. Most people simply don't need the speed that todays computers have for average use. The computer spends most of it's time waiting for your to type something in, assuming you use it for word processeing, or surfing the web. Web pages aren't going to load any faster with a G5 on 56K connection. On a good note, Quake 3 will probably be much faster.

chemistry_geek

Believe me, I know what old is. I had an Apple II and just got rid of my 9600/200 for this baby.

I do digital video editing and post production so I would definitely benefit from the speedier processor. Dont get me wrong, this lovely setup Im on now totally rocks (!!!!!) and i DO NOT take it for granted but who wouldnt love a new system that can compress a movie in even 10% faster times.

chemistry_geek, you think your Blue and white is old? Well its older than my 400Mhz iMac, but hey, at least its expandible!!! I would trade my iMac for a B/W G3 or G4 any day.:)

I don't think people realize we're going to enter into a transition period similar to the 68k/PPC transition of yore.

I'm going to be extremely interested to see how the whole thing is marketed, orchestrated, and otherwise handled.

How many new mac users know what a fat binary is?

I know what is old! Its my Performa 630 DC! This peace of computer is pretty old! But still boots up faster with Mac OS 8 than my current iMac 500 DV SE wit 10.1.1 does :)
All the peripherials still work though, even the Disk-Drive!
I still use it for watching TV/Videos. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything else yet what this old machine could b useful for... :(

Quite interesting ;)

When I got my G3 I spent a lot of time making stuff look like it did on my Performa 635CD :p ... I have customized the heck out of my mac (well OS 9...need to do some more extensive work on OS X :p)...and if and when I get a new mac, its gonna be back to square one with customizations lol....

for now 350Mhz and 704MB RAM serve me well :p

Admiral

Heh. My Mac Classic 4/40 and StyleWriter II are sitting in my loft. And my revision B 233MHz iMac (256MB RAM) sits in my office.

So :p to all of ya!

I have a half-decent job, but I also have a growing family. No way I can justify to the "finance committee" (wife) buying a second-hand G4, let alone a brand new G5!

lol :p
Hey my school has imagewrites I and imagewriter IIs for use in our x86 PC labs :p serial printers lol :p

I used those buggers when I coded in BASIC ;-)

The entire chemistry department at my high school was running on Mac Classics until this year. One classroom got PC's a couple of months ago, but the other still has macs (lemme tell you... they've spent 3 or 4 times as much time in tech support for the windows machines in the last 3 months as they spent on the Macs for their whole lives... and guess which computers STILL work better, easier, and give more accurate results?).

Oh, and the physics lab is still on Mac Classics (Heck, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... or replace it... even if they've been there sine back in '89).

But hey, I guess it's not an even match... the Mac's are running at sub-50 Mhz speeds with 4MB RAM and <100MB hard drives while the PC's are over 1Ghz with 64 MB RAM and 5 (or so) gig harddrives. Give them another decade or so and the PCs might have an advantage... =)

Oh, and I was lucky enough to snag an old Classic in hopes of making an aquarium out of it.

In PC Hell (at school).

-JoeCrow

Back