going back to airport 4.1 from 4.2, possible?

PI1

Registered
4.2 broke my software base station, i was sharing my ethernet connection to airport, all was working just fine until i updated to 4.2, now i can't get a base station id.
Using a 3rd party pci card in a G4 dual 1.25 with 10.4.2.

Does anyone know how i can get back to 4.1?
And please don't say an archive and install because that is not an option!

Regards

Tom.

From MacFixIt;

Reverting to older AirPort kernel extenstions One potential workaround -- which has worked when this problem appeared with previous iterations of Mac OS X and various security updates -- involves reverting to older version of the AirPort kernel extensions.

This can be accomplished by first downloading the shareware utility Pacifist, then obtaining the AirPort 4.1 updater package.

Use Pacifist to open the AirPort 4.1 package, and extract the following files:

AppleAirPort.kext
AppleAirPort2.kext
AppleAirPort3.kext
Place these same files in the /System/Library/Extensions folder, replacing the old copies (you will be asked for your administrator password) and restart. You may need to repair permissions using Apple's Disk Utility (located in Applications/Utilities after restarting).

Hey thanks' Bob, i really appreciate your time, i had done a search on google but it didn't come up with this, i'll give it a try now.

Once again, many thanks'

Tom.

Sigh, that didn't work, one thing though, i could see the files 'AppleAirPort.kext' and
'AppleAirPort2.kext' but not 'AppleAirPort3.kext'.
Maybe this is why it doesn't work?

Very strange.

Thanks' for your help tho'.

Tom

Update: In the end i decided to do the most drastic thing and reinstall the OS, i now have airport 4.1.1 with 10.4.1, really not sure if i should update the OS to 10.4.2 or not.
Now all i have to do is get all my audio apps back in by tomorrow morning!

It's going to be a long night.....

Back