GoLiveCS problem - Flash nav. in HTML pages

wicky

play thing
I've created a template page with various editable regions, one of which is a floating box. On the actual page that references that template I've placed a flash movie into the floating box region.

I want to be able to use the flash movie as a relative hyperlink to elsewhere in the site (without having to assign the URL back in Flash), but there's no appropriate link field in the inspector???

I have tried editing the code, with limited success (it only works in IE, but not Mozilla/Safari), and I just wondered if I am missing something really obvious.

This seems like a really obvious thing to want to do.... using flash movie's as navigational elements within a HTML page. Can anyone help me?

.... Before you ask, the reason why I have placed a floating box in the template page, is because it's the only way that I could get IE to display the content in the correct position.

Cheers

you have to assign the url in flash, but you could do something like

on (release) {
getURL(var);
}

and in the html use

theflashfile.swf?var=thelinkto.html

as the src

I hope this is what you mean

edit: for future reference www.actionscript.org is a great tutorial site / forum for flash

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is what I meant, and in the end i assigned the URL in Flash. I just thought that there might have been an easy way to turn the whole flash movie into a button within GoLive (seeing as it's an independent, self contained object). I suppose I could always use an image map or hot spot area, but it's not exactly clean.

The problem that I was having was pretty simple.... too many open apps (PS, GoLive, various browsers, BBEdit, Mail, Fire, etc, etc!!), I just wanted to avoid having to open several flash movies too (particlarly ones that were created months ago).

Ah well, as usual I spend hours trying to find production shortcuts. How stoopid is that? :confused:

Cheers

Back