Good PPC emulation on x86

Cool if they make one that lets you run windows applications on a mac that would really help Apple because people that love the design and power of macs would be able to bye them and use them as a PC amd Mac depending on what they need to do that way there would be less sales going to dell, hp, ibm and the other PC company's.

Admiral that demo was only part theory, no actual mac app ran so far.
I doubt it can do what it says, remember architecture matters not just the chip.

However there is a mac emulator on amiga that runs it almost perfect. But then again thats ppc on ppc.

Another thing: how can cisc hope to emulate risc?

Hello,

I just read the article and it seems more hype than anything else. One of the reasons VPC works as well as it does is that it emulates and entire PC; architecture and all. The processor is just one peice of hardware the applications need to interface with. Are they planning on porting all of MacOS X to there "partial Mac"?

But then again I could be wrong.

Originally posted by ThE OutsiDer
Admiral that demo was only part theory, no actual mac app ran so far.
I doubt it can do what it says, remember architecture matters not just the chip.

However there is a mac emulator on amiga that runs it almost perfect. But then again thats ppc on ppc.

Another thing: how can cisc hope to emulate risc?

I hate to burst the bubble, but if this is true for the time being, it might not be for long. PC chipsets like nVidia's n-force not only work for AMD chips, but they are also being produced for Intel's cpu's, like the p!!! in the xBox. But there was also rumor that the chipset could be adopted tby apple, making most of the difference in the platform, cpu based. Of course the bios and north bridge would differ a little as well.

BTW, g3's and g4's are not actually risc processors anymore. They have some cisc attributes. Same goes for AMD and Intel chips. The Athlon has many risc-like architectural points.

Quite true:
Macs have been trying to streamline these days an use "pc" parts like video cards, printers, scanners and so on (so long as there are drivers).

The good things about this are:
* More peripherals for the mac
* More, cheaper options for internal components

Aaaahhh just wait a few years when indeed the only difference will be the OS and the processor...I can wait to see what emulation will be achieved then ;)

I’m ready to get flamed for this, but Transmeta is well only well received by people who think Linus is some sort of God. Quite frankly they haven’t done anything spectacular. Intel & AMD have both caught up to them in low power consumption and well . . . code morphing still isn’t apparent.

I would be quite surprised if they lasted another year or two . . . There just one of those companies who just hype themselves up and only show vapor.

Oh well . . .

. Allen Goodman

G3 G4 are more cisc-like...Now I've heard it all....

If x86 are more risc like now then why dont they inherant RISC properties like low voltage, heat disapation scalability etc...?
I have heard this arguement been proven wrong so many times, the demo Rubenstein showed about MHZ myth was even more proof, when Intel does go 64 bit risc they will be scaleded back to 800mhz...

Fanless wintel systemm....yeah right.

And we'll see how long the 733 pen 3 xbox gets outdated compared to gamecube and its gekko cpu.

If I remember correctly, the G3 is almost pure RISC. It's the G4, with it's Altivec engine, that has some CISC components.

As for Pentiums being partially RISC, yeah, that's true. But the last I read. the way Intel implemented it, it is practically unused. That's about as useful as writing "New G4" on the case of my computer and thinking that'll do something.

Originally posted by ThE OutsiDer
G3 G4 are more cisc-like...Now I've heard it all....

If x86 are more risc like now then why dont they inherant RISC properties like low voltage, heat disapation scalability etc...?
I have heard this arguement been proven wrong so many times, the demo Rubenstein showed about MHZ myth was even more proof, when Intel does go 64 bit risc they will be scaleded back to 800mhz...

Actually The Itanium isn't a RISC proccessor. It uses a new type of instruction set called VLWID, and I was not comparing Intel crap to RISC architecture. I was mainly speaking of the Athlon, which is the most RISC-like of all x86 processors. Besides, Motorola and AMD have been working on all kinds of projects together. I wonder if they got some architectural ideas from them. Oh and risc processors don;t have to be defined by a low clock frequency. They do complete more IPC than most x86 processors, but the reason why they have a low clock speed is because they don;t have very many cache pipelines. If Intel or AMD put 40 instruction operators in their cpu they could have a 200MHz cpu that performs better than a 2GHz cpu with only 6.

Back