Good uses for old Macs

Could I make my iMac G3 233MHz a web server for multiple people if I upgraded it to max RAM? The site that is currently being hosted on it is here (I'm still working on it).

Absolutely. The amount of concurrent connections can be configured on whatever web server software you use. Even MacHTTP has a setting for concurrent connections to the server in its configuration file.

But will it be fast enough? Right now it runs slow in my network, I don't know how fast it runs outside of my network. Also are both memory bays in my tray-loader the same size (they look different)? I am actually thinking of having my own really cheap hosting service for beginning webmasters. It could be partially ad supported.

Last edited:
But will it be fast enough? Right now it runs slow in my network, I don't know how fast it runs outside of my network. Also are both memory bays in my tray-loader the same size (they look different)? I am actually thinking of having my own really cheap hosting service for beginning webmasters. It could be partially ad supported.

What are you using for your web server? I disabled DNS resolution on MacHTTP and it helped speed things up a bit. There's an option in the configuration file to disable that.

I'm using my iMac G3 233MHz currently with 96MB RAM as my web server via MacHTTP. I'm thinking of upgrading my internet connection if I can do this web hosting service. I know it it won't be that fast but I think it would be OK for beginners.

Is there any possible way to serve PHP files on Mac OS 8?

I'm using my iMac G3 233MHz currently with 96MB RAM as my web server via MacHTTP. I'm thinking of upgrading my internet connection if I can do this web hosting service. I know it it won't be that fast but I think it would be OK for beginners.

Is there any possible way to serve PHP files on Mac OS 8?

That I know of, no. I think I did mention that earlier in this thread. You would probably have to install OS X, a PPC port of GNU/Linux, or a PPC port of the free BSDs. That way, you could use Apache which does support PHP.

Back