Got a WWDC Scholarship!

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
I didn't think I had a chance in hell, but I just found out that I was granted a scholarship ($1500 value) to go to WWDC (I'm a student developer).

Anybody else planning on making the trip this year?

Congrats! I was a scholarship winner a few years back and have attended the last three WWDCs. Great conference!

Make sure to stop and say hi if you see me around. I always enjoy meeting folks from all the different online communities I contribute to. :)

A buddy of mine was accepted as well this year!

Michael

What do you have to do to qualify? Do you need to be actively writing code or just a student developer?

The requirements are that you are a registered student developer and you apply. Other than that, there were no prerequisites.

The program includes the admission to the conference, daily lunch and snacks as well as Student Sunday, which includes programming projects with Apple folks.

Apple, historically, has found special pricing for students at local hotels, but that is not included in the package.

Michael

Ah, that's pretty good. I think it'd probably cost me too much to fly to California right now, but I'd really be a great thing to get to go to.

Captain Code said:
Ah, that's pretty good. I think it'd probably cost me too much to fly to California right now, but I'd really be a great thing to get to go to.

It is well worth it, IMO. Like I said, I've done the last three years and it has truly given me the leg up on all of my projects. In 2003, I was able to deploy Panther at least six months earlier based on the conference. For IT folks or programmers, its the best conference of the year. I'd say that this year is even more important with Leopard scheduled to be shown off as well as the Intel transition that's been going on.

Michael

I just checked and it's not as expensive as I thought. About $550 to fly from Toronto to San Francisco. So under 1 grand isn't too bad really. Someday for sure I'll be there!

The airfare isn't too bad (only about $400 from ATL to SFO), but the real cost will be the hotel. Hopefully Apple will have a discount rate for the student developers, but I'm still expecting to pay at least $150/night. San Francisco isn't cheap, and staying down near Union Square can be quite pricey.

Last time I was in SFO I stayed a few miles away in the Culinary District. It was much cheaper (about $80/night), but it was an older hotel without Internet Access. That won't cut it this time.

Well, the commercial developer rates are up already and are about $200/night, which isn't bad for that area of SF.

I glanced through some hotel listings in general and found some that looked pretty OK for $99 a night. It does state on the student page that there will be hotel information provided. Also, to keep costs down, people have elected to use the student development list and so forth as a way to find a roommate.

Ideally, you don't need the most amazing hotel in town while at WWDC. Sessions start first thing in the morning and take you right up to dinner, with some evening activities and labs available. I mean, don't stay in a complete dive or anything, but you get the idea. You probably won't be spending more than the overnights in the hotel.

Hopefully you guys will get info from the WWDC Student team soon about all this! :)

For anyone going, I'm happy to lend advice to first timers.

Michael

Back