Got iPod

why do Apple's coolest gadgets must alway be so expensive? Sure, prices will drop, and will even drop fast I hope, but by the time they do it will no longer be THE new, cool hardware and everyone will be talking about Steve's new airport-enabled teapot or firewire-connected microwave =/
I wish I was rich. Maybe I will one day? Ok, if I ever become a billionaire (in Û), I'll buy you three an iPod :p

Kinniken

It is expensive but consider that it's both an mp3 player using an insanely small firewire hd that you can (if you chose to) use for other things... such as perhaps putting OS X on and booting up on another computer using your copy of X? Very interesting to me!

Everything for which there is a demand is bound to have a higher price ;)
Simple economics. If you need it, you will budget for it and buy it. simple :)

Originally posted by Jim Paradise
It is expensive but consider that it's both an mp3 player using an insanely small firewire hd that you can (if you chose to) use for other things... such as perhaps putting OS X on and booting up on another computer using your copy of X? Very interesting to me!

You cant boot X off a firewire drive. I wanted to. :(

I really want an iPod though. I'm already looking around my place wondering what could go on ebay to make me extra moneys.

Twister

Before v10.1, I was booting my Cube off of a firewire drive for four months. Actually, I only had to boot off of the external firewire drive three or four times because v10.0.4 was so stable (the reboots were only done because I was moving my Cube around). What is your system setup?

Hay. I asked the guy at genuis bar at the apple store and he said i couldnt boot off a firewire drive cuz its not bottable. How can you start off a firewire drive if you need your computer on to 'see' the firewire drive and read it. I need more HD space and i was thinking of a firewire HD. I have a G3 B&W 350 w/DVD. Hummmm.

Twister

The first thing you need to do is make sure you have the latest firmware update for your mac. Whoever told you that you can't boot off an external FireWire drive either didn't understand your question or they shouldn't be behind the genius bar. I've been to the Apple Store near Chicago and I have noticed that all the workers like being behind the bar. I guess it makes them feel smarter. If you observe the interactions between the Apple emps behind the bar you usually can tell who the Alpha Geek behind the bar is. The real Genius I talked with really knew his stuff. He even could answer some questions I had about Cocoa. Anyways......

The first thing you need to do is install Mac OS 9 on the FireWire drive of your choice. You can do this with the install CD ROMs. It's been awhile since I did this, but I think when you boot off of the install CD for OS 9 you can choose an external FireWire drive (it needs to be hooked up before you boot off the install CD) to install OS 9 on. After the install completes you are asked to reboot. The reboot should boot your mac off the FireWire drive. Install OS 10 from here.

Hope this helps

Back