got no boots

ianbond

Registered
Hi,
like razelman and rachyl below i can't get my osx to boot up. it seems a slightly different situation but i think i'm looking at a re-install too. my mac is an ibook with 9.2.2 on one side and 10.2.2 on the other.
because of the partitions and only 9.2.2 available to me i am concerned that when i get into this i am facing loss of everything on my that side.
anyone been here? what do i have to look out for?
happy gnu yeah
ian

Do I understand this correctly that you have two partitions, one for OS 9, one for OS X? If you clean install OS X onto the OS X volume, nothing from your OS 9 partition should be erased. However: All your information on the OS X partition would be, unless you choose "Archive & Install".

I'd look into using an external FireWire drive to make a backup before reinstalling.

Here are a couple things to try,
First -
Try holding down the OPTION key after you power up, and hold it down until it prompts you with a list of OSes it can find available for booting.
Then if it lets you select OS X, boot into it and see if everything is in tact.

As a separate method,
try holding down X after the chime, and that should force it to boot into OS X if it can find a valid startup disk with OS X on it.

Let me know what you find out.

thanks,
jonathan

many many thanks folks. i've encountered another problem with tenents super (if you are brits you will know - if you are not that is your problem) and that may take longer to fix. i'll get onto these asap. great forum, great response.
happy new things

ian

fryke said:
Do I understand this correctly that you have two partitions, one for OS 9, one for OS X? If you clean install OS X onto the OS X volume, nothing from your OS 9 partition should be erased. However: All your information on the OS X partition would be, unless you choose "Archive & Install".

I'd look into using an external FireWire drive to make a backup before reinstalling.

yup, this was a kind of tweeny solution between os9 and osx - i got both on this box. but...the only way to osx with reboots is via 9.2

ian

thanks to every one who offered advice. turns out the problem was self inflicted. powermac's link to an apple article re the g4 problem below rang bells.
this is what happened - i was looking at the osx folder from the 9.2 side and thought i should tidy up some odd documents. they never opened and were never seen when in osx and so i put them in a folder really neat and thereby created chaos.

this was the link - credit to powermac
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106805

ian

Back