GotMail Perl script

svenrg

Registered
Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to all the unix stuff so the solution to my problem might be easy. I'm trying to use a Perl script called GotMail to download messages from my hotmail account.

When I try to run the script using this command:
perl gotmail

I get this error message:
Can't locate URI/Escape.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /System/Library/Perl/darwin /System/Library/Perl /Library/Perl/darwin /Library/Perl /Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/darwin /Network/Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl .) at gotmail line 31.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at gotmail line 31.

You can get the script here:
http://ssl.usu.edu/paul/gotmail/

Thanks

the perl script is trying to use a module called URI::Escape which doesn't exist in your perl include path (the array @INC contains all the directories in the include path). you probably need to install this module...

It's just that the GotMail homepage says the script needs only Curl and Perl to run. Is the OS X (10.2.2) default installation of Perl not a full one?

Thanks

the default install of perl does not contain all available modules. you need to download URI::Escape yourself.

in your terminal, as superuser, type:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

you will be prompted to answer a few questions. hitting enter picks the default answer, and this should be fine.

once you get a cpan> prompt, type:

install URI::Escape

that should do it.

Hmmm....

It didnt work...

When I try to install the module, this is what I get in the end:

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite MIME::Base64 failed to load: Can't locate MIME/Base64.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /System/Library/Perl/darwin /System/Library/Perl /Library/Perl/darwin /Library/Perl /Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/darwin /Network/Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl .) at (eval 4) line 3.

Error: Unable to locate installed Perl libraries or Perl source code.

It is recommended that you install perl in a standard location before
building extensions. Some precompiled versions of perl do not contain
these header files, so you cannot build extensions. In such a case,
please build and install your perl from a fresh perl distribution. It
usually solves this kind of problem.

(You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find "/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/perl.h")
Running make test
Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

i don't know what to say. i'm using OS X 10.1.5 with the default installation of Perl, and everything worked for me. i'm not familiar with Jaguar, but i don't think it would ship with a less complete version of Perl. did you install the Developer's Tools?

Back