Graphics card recommendation please.

OrganLeroy

Registered
My middle-aged Power Mac G4 (500 Mhz AGP Graphics) has an ATI Rage 128 Pro graphics card, which has the unfortunate (and documented) problem of sometimes rendering DVD Studio Pro menu titles upside-down and backward.

The only workaround is to turn off hardware-based final rendering, which hugely increases rendering time.

I want to get a new card, but this is my backup machine and I don't need the latest and greatest. Can someone recommend a moderate upgrade card that I might pick up cheaply (maybe even used on Ebay)?

I'm currently using the VGA port, but thinking of getting a new Apple display. They have abandoned the ADC connector in favor of DVI on all their new displays, haven't they?

Also, I've read that a lot of these Ebay "Mac version" cards are really flashed PC cards. Sometimes auctions (such as this one) will use the phrase "retail Mac edition", which I'm assuming means an original Mac card.

yes, the new displays use DVI.. however if you wanted an LCD, you could get a refurbished ADC display (the "plastic" ones that match your G4) from someone like SmallDog or OWC.. and they would have an ADC compatible graphics card too..

Back