Graphics slow-down

dannyvin

Registered
Hey there! I've got a G4 Cube, which i recently installed a flashed Geforce 2MX 64mb as my new graphics card. The card works great, that is, until about 20-1hr. of playing medal of honor. After which the graphics sloooooow down, a lot. Fortunately its still operable so i end up quitting the program. Once i quit, the finder and quartz extreme is also sloow, especially the dock, and after a while longer the screen will flicker in straange colors until i put the comp to sleep and wake it up again. Is this due to the overheating of the graphics card? The card does have a fan on it and can hear that its churning away, so i was thinking of putting heat sinks on the VRAM chips. Someone tell me if that 's it or maybe its just a software problem.

Danvin

It could very well be heat. There IS a fan on the card itself, but nothing forcing that heat OUT of the Cube. There is a great FAQ on this at cubeowner.com--installing a fan should be a priority, and you can do it without much noise at all, most likely less than the fan on the GF2.

Yeah, sounds like a heat problem. Our admin girl at work always stacks papers up next to her computer covering the vents and when it gets hot things go bad. It's only a shoddy home made PC, but I guess the same principles apply.

There's only so much the Cube's convection cooling can deal with. Force a bit of cold through it and it should be fine.

Back