Graphite Mode?

JaredS

Registered
Graphite Mode does not appear to be talked anywhere on Apple's website. Though I am not doubting its existence, it is just weird that Apple would not cover that

Originally posted by JaredS
Graphite Mode does not appear to be talked anywhere on Apple's website. Though I am not doubting its existence, it is just weird that Apple would not cover that

What I wonder about is that from screen shots the three buttons seem exactly alike in Graphite. That seems stupid.

what 3 buttons do you mean? the window widgets? those stay un colored until the mouse is over them... otherwise imagine a screen covered in windows.. coloured spots all over the place!

That is why you have a beta BTW. Maybe we all should suggest that in graphite mode the widgets should have varying colors, or the symbols full time.

maybe different shades of gray, but i wouldnt want the symbols there full-time, the placement is enough of a differentiation in this case. one thing that would be good would be to separate the maximize & minimize controls from the close control, since theyre really very different functions.

in any case, i'd be surprised if, by final, there wasn't something like IE5's toolbar flavours, where you could set the buttons, et. al. to match whatever colour your mac is.

The three widgets are all the same grphite shade. They are still easy to use however as they display the icons when the mouse is over them - Also it's very very easy to remember what does what.

I meanin OS 9 - did anybody actually know what they did when they first used them? No, new users don't know that an empty sqaure means close the window - most don't even know what a window is or what closing it does.

Originally posted by Eolake
Originally posted by JaredS

What I wonder about is that from screen shots the three buttons seem exactly alike in Graphite. That seems stupid.

Anyway, I have been using osx beta for a couple of days now, and I feel that the demand for less color is an over-reaction. the color in aqua is very, very discreet.

And as a whole I really like the interface.

Originally posted by JDTyler
The three widgets are all the same grphite shade. They are still easy to use however as they display the icons when the mouse is over them - Also it's very very easy to remember what does what.

I meanin OS 9 - did anybody actually know what they did when they first used them? No, new users don't know that an empty sqaure means close the window - most don't even know what a window is or what closing it does.

I found that graphite was a much more pleasing mode (for me) than the aqua mode. I just didn't like all the color. But tastes tend toward the minimalist, so it's not slam on aqua. I hope that something along the lines of Kaleidoscope comes along for OS X, but until then, i'll stick with the graphite mode....

If you can't figure out after a few days of use which button does what based on position alone, you shouldn't be allowed to use a computer.

Not to create a war here, but I was *very* pleased that in graphite, the window widgets were all the same colour.

One needs to remember why the graphite was introduced: It was supposed to be colour neutral for all the graphics artists, who's sense of colour gets distracted by all the flashy colours of aqua.

However, of the four people I know who are running OSX, we all like graphite mode *much* better, and had always complained that Aqua was much to vivid.

That isn't to say that there aren't people out there who like Aqua, and all its colours, but for me, I like more subdued, colour neutral.

Originally posted by Paploo
Not to create a war here, but I was *very* pleased that in graphite, the window widgets were all the same colour.

Oh, it wouldn't be graphite if there were colors: I just expected them to be different *tones* of grey, so there was a difference.

Personally I think the graphite mode is fine how it is. i definitely prefer it over aqua, and since the colors don't show up until you mouse over them anyway, you're not losing much since the icons still show up when you mouse over. The x - + tells me a lot more than the color does anyway.

I read that a number of designers asked for a mode like graphite, so that the aqua color would not detract from the images on the screen. I think this is placate the folks who really do spend the $$$ to buy the fancy monitors with the graphite casing and the shade over the front.

Personally, I think I like the graphite mode better because it does highlight colors in applications better.

Just my $0.02

There is a difference. One's on the left, one's on the right, and one's in the middle. How complicated is that?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, it wouldn't be graphite if there were colors: I just expected them to be different *tones* of grey, so there was a difference.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I'll side on Aqua. I don't find the colours all that vivid, and while working they don't seem much of a nuisance. Graphite mode just seems boring, but that's just me ;]

I guess we'll eventually have Themes, like the ones introduced in Mac OS 8.5, but which will actually be supported.

Cardo

Back