Graphite & Snow Problem

zwheeloc

Registered
Greetings: I have a unique problem that I have posted at MacFixIt and Apple without any resolution.

Setup:

Graphite <--> Hub <--> Snow
Hub <--> Printer

Airport Cards:
Cube
iMac
G4 Ti Powerbook

Cube, iMac & Printer connected through the Snow Airport, Powerbook is roaming through the house.

Problem:
When the Powerbook is in the Graphite network range, I am unable to connect to any of the computers in the Snow network. When I get to the Snow network, I am able to connect to the computers just fine.

Cube is set up as 10.0.1.202 (I have Now Contact and Up-To-Date server on the Cube) , all other computers are setup with DHCP. One printer is set up as 10.0.1.201. I am also unable to connect to the printer when the PB is in the Graphite network.

To throw another monkey wrench into the mix, Internet surfing works just fine. All Airports are at their maximum versions. Graphite v3.84, Snow v4.0.8. All OS is OS X v10.2.6.

Any one have any ideas??

Do I understand correctly that the 2 Base Statns are functioning as a bridge as well as individual base Statns? Are both using same network name and BOTH serving DHCP - this might be the problem.

sounds like the two airport networks are independent of each other. The only way they could be linked is if you had two Airport Extreme Base Stations. The older ones don't support network sharing unless they act merely as access points. Are your imacs access points or do they assign a DHCP IP? I am assuming the latter thus you are unable to access the printer.

Originally posted by dixonbm
sounds like the two airport networks are independent of each other. The only way they could be linked is if you had two Airport Extreme Base Stations. The older ones don't support network sharing unless they act merely as access points. Are your imacs access points or do they assign a DHCP IP? I am assuming the latter thus you are unable to access the printer.

That is interesting. Is there documentation or a knowledgebase document on that? iMac and Powerbook are on DHCP, I have set the Cube and Printer to 10.0.1.201 and 10.0.1.202 respectively.

Originally posted by gsahli
Do I understand correctly that the 2 Base Statns are functioning as a bridge as well as individual base Statns? Are both using same network name and BOTH serving DHCP - this might be the problem.

Graphite base station is set up with the Distribute IP addresses turned off, which effectively turns on Bridging. The Snow is distributing the IP addresses. Both having different base station names of course to differenciate them from each other but the same Network name.

Does anyone think it would make a difference if I switched the distribute IP address from the Snow to the Graphite?
Zeff Wheelock

Back