Gray Screen (freezed) During Disk Utility Check Permission

saxbarone

Registered
Hi all,
I run disk utility in order to check file permission and my ibook freezes.
I did it becouse I have a process (kextcache) that never stops, sucks 80% of CPU and fills the rest of my disk (2,5 GB available).
I need to kill it every time I reboot the system.
Could you help me? Thanks
Salvatore

PS: My system is an iBook 12", 1GHz, 256 MB RAM, Panther 10.3.9 with all software upgraded.

'I run disk utility in order to check file permission and my ibook freezes ... becouse I have a process (kextcache) that never stops, sucks 80% of CPU', checking / reparing a file's permission has nothing to do with, respect to repairing, a possible damaged / corrupt file.

'... and fills the rest of my disk (2,5 GB available).', what fills the rest of the hard disk drive? - name the specific file and its actual size. Are you stating that the (unknown name) file increases in size with each reboot? - if so, by what amount.

'I need to kill it every time I reboot the system ... Could you help me?', a possible solution - (after killing 'kextcache') go to the '/System/Library/' folder; locate, trash (you will need to fill in the respective 'Authenticate' window's password) and delete (empty the trash) the 'Extensions.kextcache' (~ 204 KB) and 'Extensions.mkext' (~ 4.8 MB) files; then, restart (reboot) your Mac.

Reply with your observations.

Back