Great reffing (:rolleyes:) in Germany-USA (1-0)

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Wow, that was a really great game (I'm not being sarcastic, here). The Americans really gave the Germans a run for their money, and it's sad that the Americans just couldn't put in a goal (that the ref would accept) when they clearly could have. Unfortunately, Donovan and others lost steam at the end of the game, and the stupid American coach didn't put in Beasley, instead opting for that useless Mathis.

But yet again, I have to question the reffing in this game. The Americans ACTUALLY DID PUT IN A GOAL, and it went over the line, but the ref said it didn't. In addition, a German made a hand ball right before it went in, and the ref didn't call that, either.

The ref also made some questionable calls on minor fouls, but the call on the American goal was unacceptable.

The ref of the Brazil-England game also made a very bad call in giving a red card to Ronaldinho (even though I was for England). That was, at most, a yellow card, and even that is up for grabs. I have been really disappointed at the reffing in this World Cup (like the Ecuadorian in the Italy-Korea game), and I hope that FIFA will take the time to start recruiting refs who actually have some EXPERIENCE in international games.

*sigh* At least the Germany-USA game was an exciting one.

I admit the US being the better team, but we have a great goalkeeper. He saved our way to the semi-finals. He made the difference
As for the goal simx, it was NOT over the line (see the replays on TV). As for the hand, it was hand, ok, but the rule says it has to be intention. And it wasn't. His hand was there but the hand did not go to the ball. That is the important thing. If the ref would have given penalty he has to give a red card too. and since it was no intention, this was the right decision.
Come on, a US defender used his hand WITH intention to throw a ball from the goal in the Mexico game. This was clearly a red card, the ref didn't see it.
We have to be much better to beat Spain (or Corea? I think Spain) though. But we have this Oliver Kahn, incredible. He deserves the world cup already. I grew like 3 years older in this 90 minutes.
I don't agree with you on the fouls, simx, it was sometimes quite rough of the americans, it was a hard game, all yellow cards were ok (also theones Germany got).
Go Germany! Huuuh, this was a game.

I really wanted to watch the Germany US game this morning but after having stayed up to watch the England Brazil game I was too tired to watch the US game. Although my wife got up and watched it. She's a bigger football fan than I.

kemistry: I agree with you that it was not over the line, but I definitely think that there should have been a penalty for the handball and a red card. It's a though decision though and the ref. was in a bad position and so was the lineref. This is one of those instances where they should be able to look at it in slowmo.

BTW I gotta hand it to ya US. You were a good experience during the WC especially your goalie, he's very good. Also Donovan.

It's just like every other team who plays Germany, they always luck out. It's really freaky that the Germans no matter who they play, they are aways the ones which have all the luck.

Got a bad deal a few years ago at Liverpool (the best tem in the world in case you all didn't know), but he's become a top keeper now.

Anyway, as long as Turkey don't win the world cup (oh and Germany of course), I'll be happy.

if you look to see who won the double last year you might see one Arsenal FC, britian's greatest team.

wasn't filtered out of this forum as foul language:D

(I don't mind Arsenal, LFC & AFC have good memories (it was nice of you to rollover for us when we won the FA Cup!;)) (DON"T mention that Mickey Thomas goal perleeeezzee!)

The only 2 teams I dislike are Chelsea (and the obvious one;) )

Phooey, it was only a football match. Rugby, now that's a serious game.

mrfluffy, I took a look at your site. I think whoever writes the lyrics has a future in advertising. 'Ryan' - Based on real life I take it?:D

Rugby?

Haha, no skill in that. You can use your hands and everything and all you have to do to stop a guy is run over to him and jump on top of him. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I did watch the replay, and I believe the ball WAS actually over the line.

While the hand ball may have been up to the ref to call, I agree that the hand ball by the US guy was unacceptable. And this is why I think the refs in this World Cup are terrible. They seem to miss the most obvious things.

Originally posted by simX

While the hand ball may have been up to the ref to call, I agree that the hand ball by the US guy was unacceptable. And this is why I think the refs in this World Cup are terrible. They seem to miss the most obvious things.

I'm late to the discussion, but here is my 2 cents on this whole thread. Remember, I am one of the biggest US fans on this board here too.

1) O'Brien's handball against Mexico was illegal, and caught, deserved a red card. But, for years, part of soccer/football has been getting away with what you can. If every shirt tug and dive was called, what kind of game would we have?

2) That said, the handball today was NOT a handball. The german player clearly did not play the ball, and furthermore, the ball did not cross the line. I have no beef with the reffing, I really thought the Scotsman called a good game (note he even referred to his linesman when he wasn't sure he could make a proper call on Reyna)

3) The US outplayed Germany today. Not even the German players can refute that. But as Friedel said after the game, give the Germans credit for coming up with a win out of a subpar performance. Frankly, I am happy that the US went out in a blaze of glory rather than losing after playing a game flat...

4) Ronaldhino got caught (see point one). He clearly took a dangerous and unsportsmanlike shot, and he got caught. Consequence: Red card. The refs have to card when they catch the foul in action otherwise the players will take control of the game away from them. It's like the IRS here in the US. They catch maybe 1 out of every 100 people cheating on their taxes, but that risk keeps another 90 of the 100 in line...

Overall, I think the refs have been doing a decent job - nobody's perfect. Simx, I am 1/2 Italian (middle name is Luciano), but I think it is ridiculous that an Italian TV station is talking about suing FIFA over the reffing. Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't. Refs are unfortunately human, and respond to home field advantage. The Italian team got a string of bad luck in this cup, but will likely fair better in future matches.

I am just happy that the US team finally have gotten the respect they deserve, even if it took losing to get it :D

jason

Originally posted by jbromer

I'm late to the discussion, but here is my 2 cents on this whole thread. Remember, I am one of the biggest US fans on this board here too.

1) O'Brien's handball against Mexico was illegal, and caught, deserved a red card. But, for years, part of soccer/football has been getting away with what you can. If every shirt tug and dive was called, what kind of game would we have?

Haha. What kind of game do we have if refs can't call OBVIOUS things like that? There's a point for there being refs, and the point is to make sure that players play fair. If there was a foul, it deserves to be called. But it's up to the players if they want to have a fast-paced game or not: they simply don't need to hack.

Is it right to let a foul go in order to keep the game going fast? No way! If there's a foul, but the foul does not make the team who currently has possession lose the ball, then the ref does not call it – this is called the advantage rule. I agree it would be dumb for refs to call every single foul no matter if the team lost possession or not, but that's why there's the advantage rule.

So, yes, every foul should be called as long as it does not give an advantage to the offending team.

2) That said, the handball today was NOT a handball. The german player clearly did not play the ball, and furthermore, the ball did not cross the line. I have no beef with the reffing, I really thought the Scotsman called a good game (note he even referred to his linesman when he wasn't sure he could make a proper call on Reyna)

Like I said, it probably was not a handball, but yes, the ball did go over the line. Unfortunately, debating this is kind of pointless right now, since we can't see the replay anymore. If you can find a QT movie of the alleged goal, then maybe you could prove that the ball didn't go over the line, or maybe I can prove that it did.

What did Reyna get a yellow card for anyway? It looked like the German took him down. Did Reyna retaliate or something?

3) The US outplayed Germany today. Not even the German players can refute that. But as Friedel said after the game, give the Germans credit for coming up with a win out of a subpar performance. Frankly, I am happy that the US went out in a blaze of glory rather than losing after playing a game flat...

I agree here, but the ref should still have allowed the goal. Again, we need to see the replay again, though.

4) Ronaldhino got caught (see point one). He clearly took a dangerous and unsportsmanlike shot, and he got caught. Consequence: Red card. The refs have to card when they catch the foul in action otherwise the players will take control of the game away from them. It's like the IRS here in the US. They catch maybe 1 out of every 100 people cheating on their taxes, but that risk keeps another 90 of the 100 in line...

Ronaldinho was going for the ball in that play, and accidentally got the player in his run for the ball. But it certainly did not deserve a red card – at most, it deserved a yellow card.

Red cards are for deliberate attacks and hacks on the part of a player. There are instances where a red card is needed, like if a player goes after the ball in a very dangerous way, but this instance was not one of them.

Overall, I think the refs have been doing a decent job - nobody's perfect. Simx, I am 1/2 Italian (middle name is Luciano), but I think it is ridiculous that an Italian TV station is talking about suing FIFA over the reffing. Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't. Refs are unfortunately human, and respond to home field advantage. The Italian team got a string of bad luck in this cup, but will likely fair better in future matches.

Being half Italian has nothing to do with it, jbromer. I don't think that suing FIFA is the right thing to do. But I do believe that FIFA should take these instances and learn from them – they should make sure that their refs are of the utmost quality, and make sure that they have experience in international games. The Ecuadorian ref who reffed the Italian-Korea game did not have enough experience, and that game was above his ability to ref.

I am just happy that the US team finally have gotten the respect they deserve, even if it took losing to get it :D

jason

I agree here. I really didn't particularly care about the Americans until I heard they were starting to play well. I'm glad I watched the Germany-USA game. That was an awesome game.

The only thing that I hate, though, is that it takes the USA winning in order for soccer to get a good article in the newspaper. The stupid San Francisco Chronicle insists on putting golf on the front page. Sheesh.

Originally posted by Lazzo
mrfluffy, I took a look at your site. I think whoever writes the lyrics has a future in advertising. 'Ryan' - Based on real life I take it?:D
yeah, im not in the band so i dont know who it was though.

Originally posted by simX

What did Reyna get a yellow card for anyway? It looked like the German took him down. Did Reyna retaliate or something?

The only thing that I hate, though, is that it takes the USA winning in order for soccer to get a good article in the newspaper. The stupid San Francisco Chronicle insists on putting golf on the front page. Sheesh.

The german guy took a dive when Reyna sort of backed into him. I think another player approached him and Reyna shoved him - that was what the card was for...

I totally agree with you about the US coverage. It sucks that every 4 years, this country gets all excited about soccer for like a month after the world cup, then the world series roles around and we all forget about it for the next 3 1/2 years until the world cup happens again... We unfortunately have the biggest portion of fair weather fans for soccer in this country... -sigh-

Back