Green sparkles on display w/ATI Radeon 9800SE

kingtj

Registered
I have a PowerMac G5 dual 2.0Ghz tower which I upgraded last year with an ATI Radeon 9800SE 256MB AGP video board.

It works very well most of the time, but I've started running into problems which seem to be heat-related (since they only seem to happen when the weather gets warmer and my computer room gets to around 77-79 degrees F). My 22" Cinema Display will suddenly draw green artifacts all over everything, making it practically unreadable. I can only describe it as "green sparklies" all over the place. Sometimes it flicks, momentarily, back to a normal screen, but generally won't correct itself unless I take steps to let everything cool down. (Either A., I can close out of any applications I was using and let the system go to a blank screen or sleep mode, or B. Power everything off for a while and come back to it later.)

The cooling fan on the video card seems to be spinning just fine, though.

What's especially worrisome is that I had this same issue a few years ago with a newly purchased PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.42Ghz tower and the stock video card. In that case, I had the system running in my relatively cool basement - but it would still occasionally act up with green sparklies/artifacts. I took it to my local Apple store for service, but they claimed they couldn't reproduce the problem. I finally ended up selling that machine and upgrading to this G5 tower.

Is it possible this could be at least partially a Cinema display problem of some sort? Has anyone else run into this?

Back