Greyed Out Mute Button

matttpotter

Registered
Wow, I sure hope someone can help me on this.

This has been something that has been annoying me for quite some time now and I'm hoping it is a simple fix and that I am just being a moron. I just can not seem to find an answer to this question anywhere.

Okay for starters I am on a Dual 2 Ghz G5 - Running on OS Tiger 10.4.2 but this bug has happened on many versions. (I just now am getting around to complaining about it on a forum.)

For some strange reason I randomly lose sound on my computer. When I goto the sound system preferences the mute box is checked and greyed out. Check the screen shot of it here

http://www.moviesaskew.com/mattt/grey.jpg

They only way this can be fixed it seems is by me restarting the computer, which I am sure you know sometimes is a bigger ordeal that it sounds. (other things running that need to finish before you can even THINK of restarting.) I have noticed that this tends to happen while I have Final Cut Pro running (again mutiple versions but currently 5.0) This may be a giant cawinkystink, but I am beginning to wonder. Although I guess I always have MAIL running too and I don't think that has anything to do with it. I don't know, I just know it is driving me crazy.

Anybody have any idea on how I can fix this each time it happens with out restarting? Or maybe even make it so it just never happens again? Or just somebody out there that is having this problem as well so I don't feel as though they are going to have to name this glitch after me like Lou Gehrig's disease or something.

HELP

why isnt it in your list of sound inputs?
is it beacuse you have headphones attached or external speakers through that port? if that is the case, see what happens if you disconnect them, if there are any difference etc.

Buggy CoreAudio!!! Are you running the app called VLC? If so, get the latest. VLC was crashing the sound left and right on my G5. The latest doesn't do this (0.8.2).

I guess it has something to do with the G5's multiple sound output ports (digital or regular).

Doug

Back