Hackers forcing switching

iMacLover

Registered
I'd like to know if there is anyone else that has heard someone say that they wish had a Mac so they wouldn't get these annoying viruses. I have a friend, who hated the Mac, but now has realized that it has made a name for itself by being quite secure. I love how these worms and viruses are making people think switch.

Anyone else hear someone say this?

I know a LOT of people who always had hated macs because "they are only for dummies" but ASAP I had shown that they can do Unixxy stuff on OS X they actually figured it wasn't just for the dummies... :)

I've not had anyone suggest it to me, but I'd be the first to suggest it to someone else.

One of my friends bought a brand new PC about a month ago. Did a virus scan, turned out he had something like 13 viruses. Of course, I took this as an opportunity to give him a lecture why having a Mac is better :rolleyes:.

But many non-skilled ppl blame everything they can't understand (in that case it's a lot) on virus. I hear a lot of ppl calling me and asking what to do, they got a virus. I ask them what's going on, and they say: ms word frozen. :D I think I don't have to comment this for you guys

Hhahaha, that's funny Zammy. Just recently a friend of mine got that Blaster virus and of course wasn't happy about it. Needles to say my Blaster free Mac was mentioned as I offered to help him find a patch.

a friend of my is going to by a G5, after he noticed he had like.. 20 viruses?

One "virus" (not actually a virus) was able to show a PopUp (even when IE was off) after each 2 minutes. Can you imagine how irritating that is? If you're playing SimCity, it crashes after each 2 minutes !!!

Computer Stupidities is a hilarious site full of true stories of people who don't know how to use computers very well. Some say the same thing Zammy's friends say. It's amazing how dangerous a computer can be in the hands of the uneducated.

Some people hate computers. They think they are going to plant chips in the back of a persons neck soon. They'd rather have a typewriter, paintbrush, and scattered papers.

My friends thought Mac OS was for dummies to, because they used a macintosh dating back to the eighties.

So their entire opinion is based on an operating system, Mac OS 6? that has been gone for quite a while. This is how an IT is born. =<D

Of course, it is no use explaining to them because they have made up their minds. They'll use their gaming machines even though there is an endless supply of worms and viruses just itching to enter their operating system.

I think we'll see people thinking about switching but more hesistant when they talk to their relatives, friends, dog.

Arden?

What's up with the new avatar? Are you feeling confused nowadays? :D

Or you simply love this :confused: icon? Let us know what gives, if you feel like it of course! ;)

Then again you can just let me remain :confused:

:D

From where I stand, I see and hear more people (many are people I know online and/or personal friends) switching to Linux for the reason discussed above, to get away from the insecurities of Windows and the headaches of using it. They take the PC they already have and load Linux on it. Plain and simple, and it's cheaper.

You can argue price/value all you want, the high cost of Mac hardware is the biggest obstacle preventing people from switching. Compatibility with Windows is no longer an issue, now we have to address a crowd that's use to paying smaller bucks for computers. The Linux crowd are even harder to please.

Hulk, I'm gonna keep you guessing.

No, actually, I just like this icon. I thought, why not apply my Photoshop 5k1llz and make it my avatar? Besides, Apple's long since stopped shipping the iMac hybrid machine. :)

Ape: That's what I was talking about at one point with a friend of mine. She was judging the entire Mac line based on the Apple II, when I told her that's so not a Macintosh (this was only a few years ago).

Linux is a good alternative to Windows if you can find the appropriate software. If you need something specific, like if you're in 3D graphic design, then switching to Linux (why the hell aren't you using a Mac in the first place?!) probably isn't going to fulfill your needs. Switching to Mac surely will.

Originally posted by arden
Linux is a good alternative to Windows if you can find the appropriate software. If you need something specific, like if you're in 3D graphic design, then switching to Linux (why the hell aren't you using a Mac in the first place?!) probably isn't going to fulfill your needs. Switching to Mac surely will.
I beg to differ, there are several commercial 3D apps available for Linux, one of which isn't yet available for the Mac: Maya Unlimited. After that there's SoftImage XSI.

And don't forget Blender, BRL CAD (U.S. Military program, free download), linuxcad (crap last I checked it), etc.

There's a ton of 3d programs out for linux, I think there was even a port of Bryce for a while.

Blender is a daunting program at first, I'll admit, and so was autocad when I learned it. But man, you can do some /cool/ stuff with blender once you learn it.

They make blender for osx as well, everyone ought to go try it out....

Back to the topic though, Macs have long been quite free from the vrii of the pc world. But I think this is about to change.

With more and more 'integration' in the mac os, we get closer and closer to some of the problems they encounter in windows.

For example, the new mail.app has safari built right into it, for those penis enlargement spams you get which are filled with spambot image links (so they can see if you rendered their spam). Just wait until someone realizes they can get javascript to execute applescript, and email that spam through everyone in your address book.

Or, maybe someone will figure out how to hack itunes up so they can download any file off your computer they choose, or maybe even replace files.

The other thing, and this is a meek point, is with increasing internet services running on any computer, you have an increased chance of getting attacked. Take the SSL buffer overrun attacks that apple patched us up for a few months back. Before you installed that patch, if you were running a ssh server (sshd), you could have been b0nked by a simple script. This of course applies to any os.

Bottom line, as we get more 'integrated', we accept a few risks.

Just a possable situation.

OS security is like a glove. Some gloves are better at protecting you from germs than others. Latex gloves are usually the best, but even they have their flaws; Windows is like a glove made out of silly string. They keep adding more string to try to patch up the existing holes, but it doesn't always help and they leave lots of gaps.

Back