Had enough with slow folders (with many files)

Scrossman - I have been far to smart a$$ish in my replies. You are trying to help and that is what this forum is all about. I apologize for writing things that certainly would frustrate someone who is trying to help.

One thing you helped clear up is that this file viewing behavior I am experiencing is not normal. Other people have mentioned it so I thought it was the norm. As I said I run DiskWarrior and Techtool, but that doesn't seem to help. Since I am now having printing problems and mail and iphoto crash all the time, it sounds like a reinstall is what I need to do, but I am hesitant to try that out.

I have tons (I mean tons!) of apps and files, an XWindows environment that is working beautifully and I don't want to waste my life redoing all of this. I sure miss the old days when I could just reinstall from a CD and/or use another System folder, but since I only have the 10.1 disk (don't we all?), this makes a reinstall that more insane! I know this forum has a lot of information on doing a reinstall, but if you have any advice, I would really appreciate it and I promise, no matter how difficult the solution, I will not to complain!

By the way, I don't have a sister either. It was just an example of my tastless and irreverant humor.

Copy your entire user directories and application folders and you should not loose much at all. Actually, I have not had to reinstall X on any of the computers I own or admin. I have read in some forums that you can indeed reinstall over OS X and fix problems. But in lieu of the problems you are having, a complete fresh install should fix your problems. I would be interested in knowing your results and success.
BTW, our Win2k RAID 5 160gb just bit the dust and right now it is rebuilding itself, so browsing files on the server is going to give me longer delays than you have seen :)

good luck
Steve

SC I understand your love for the Mac, but some objectivity when it comes to its short comings would be reasonable. There is no reason at this point in time you shouldn't be able to resize, scroll, or preview the contents of a directory faster. I shouldn't have to modify the way I work to perform simple tasks--this is clearly a usability issue. OS9 does all of the tasks you mentioned dvd, cd burning etc. It is just a little frustrating yes when I as well as others have waited for this OS for so long and trival tasks such as previewing the contents of a window are so slow. You are dead wrong about Win2K the screen resizing/viewing is considerably faster. I'm not a Windows lover, but they have it all over Apple in this area.

Originally posted by gravy
SC I understand your love for the Mac, but some objectivity when it comes to its short comings would be reasonable. You are dead wrong about Win2K the screen resizing/viewing is considerably faster. I'm not a Windows lover, but they have it all over Apple in this area.
I never said that Win2k wasn't faster than OSX, I just said that it too suffers from some of the shortcomings of OSX (does that show objectivity or subjective opinion?) in some areas (WMC). Read a little closer. I also never said there wasn't any room for improvement in OSX, there is plenty of room. I was merely pointing out that his experience is nothing like mine, where it takes seconds for things to happen.

Also OS9 does not perform as well in burning CDs, DVDs, listening to MP3s, crash protection, multitasking, etc. etc. as OS X does.

Its all good...Just a bit frustrated that I cannot make the switch at work, but I can only play with the OS on my Ti. There are quite a few drivers which are still not available in X yet. So we are not able to make the switch.

FYI, I decided to install a new OSX partition and keep the old one up for a while. I ran the 10 install, the 10.1 update then ran software update about 3 times to get up to 10.1.3.

The new partition is displaying files in folders much faster (yea!), but I have about 100 things I need to change including all my apps, files, my XDarwin set up and even my beautiful terminal complete with transparency and ANSII colors. In terms of the XWindows stuff, I used fink so I believe everything I need is in my /sw directory, however, I cannot copy the /sw directory via the finder due to unreadable file messages. Any advice out there?

Originally posted by fiznutz
In the global option pane make sure you use sort by "none"
i found that this helps me alot. The downside is that sometimes there is total chaos in some folders but after a quick fix its cool.:p

THANK YOU ! :D
Opening a folder with many files is now as quick as it should be.

Back