Halo's really some pain

Barose

Registered
Hello guys. I'm experiencing some graphic and gameplay trouble with that pain in the ass Halo. First of all i can't see the characters properly (master chief is colored differently than the box and the marines' faces are a mess), then when i'm fighting in big areas the game gets REALLY slow. The following are my eMac specs

Processor: 1 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 512 MB SDRAM
Graphics: ATY,RV200
VRAM: 32 MB
Producer: ATI
Resolution: 1024x768 Refresh:89Hz

As you can see the minimum requirements are matched and slightly surpassed, considering that Halo is a 2003 game. I think i've read somewhere on the Bungie FAQ that i need to update my graphic driver, but the update software included in the CD (ATI stuff) doesn't work: it says no ATI card is present on my Mac. WTF? Isn't ATY RV200 another name for the Radeon 7500??? Anyone can help me? I understand that you guys all have uber powerful G5 computers, but i'd like at least some advice to run Halo better. I've tried the lowest settings possible, like switching to 640x480 and eliminating particles, details, decals etc., but it's running even slower than the previous 1024x768. Halo's a great game, but i can't really say i've enjoyed it, with bad graphics and slow gameplay. I'm not really good when it comes to graphic on Apple computers...

EDIT: i think i've posted this help request on the support application "help" aswell, but i'm not sure what i did exactly, i'm a newbie to this site...sorry if i double posted anyway.

I can not really believe that at 640x480 the game is running slower than on 1024x768...

The newest driver is always included in the most recent OS X upgrades. As Halo is from 2003, the drivers on there are as well. They would not help anyways. Update to the newest version of OS X if you have not already.

I dare to say your graphics card is the bottle neck. The 7500 is not the strongest ATI card out there as far as I know. I have problems running it with my 64MB Radeon 9000 at resolutions higher than 800x600.

There was a thread on how to configure Halo to get a higher frame rate. Search here in the games forum for it, it's been a while since it was active

I think you're right. The aty,rv200 is more commonly called by it's commercial name, the Radeon 7500. I found this link to ATI's driver updates for Mac OS. You should be able to find out if your drivers are up to date at least.

Another thing to keep in mind is that OS X likes to use a lot of RAM. 512mb might NOT be enough...especially if you're running Tiger. Luckily, RAM for your machine is very cheap right now. Give it a shot, and good luck!

I've just browsed the old threads and found some...interesting stuff. Like that when i updated Halo to syncronize it with the PC users i also added more graphic particles to calculate and some other issues...well, something like that. This explains well how Halo, that used to run perfectly when i first purchased it, now is terribly slow. And almost every Halo player has at least a Radeon 9000 and more than 500 mb of RAM.
Anyway, i've just updated my drivers, and still Halo doesn't run at a sufficient speed to be playable at all. I'm seriously considering to burn this stupid cd. DAMN BUNGIE!!!

Do you play a lot online? Otherwise, what would speak against reinstalling it, as the older version seems to work better?

I've got the latest Halo update (make sure you have that, too!) a Radeon9800Pro (128MB VRAM), OS 10.4.3, latest drivers and 1GB RAM and I still suffer from slowdowns...

I began playing Halo when I'd a stock Radeon 9000 64MB and Halo wasn't as visually appealing... but even now there are slowdowns on my 1GHz MDD G4 so I'd expect your setup to be "worse for wear" as far as Halo goes... I suggest at least a RAM upgrade.

Doom 3's freakin' gorgeous, too! The Radeon 9800 Pro allows for a lot more visual niceties... the lack/shortage of system RAM and VRAM is very likely a culprit when it comes to textures, et al., not loading/displaying correctly...

The funny thing is that a friend of mine plays Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on a '99 PC with 500MHz processor and 128 RAM memory. It's no bluff, i've seen that. Life's unfair.

i heard doom3 runs on mac but needs 1.5gb ram or more to run correctly and you needa G5 too. i bought it for PC right when it came out and cant get it to run on PC without it gettin soo jumpy or laggy.

I did get a copy of HALO for MAC, works fine, but since i dont have a legit key i cant try it online. NO problems yet with the mac mini and halo. 1.42 and 512 ram runs good at 800x600, havent tried higher yet

I HAVE LEARNED MANY :eek:

Barose said:
Hello guys. I'm experiencing some graphic and gameplay trouble with that pain in the ass Halo. First of all i can't see the characters properly (master chief is colored differently than the box and the marines' faces are a mess), then when i'm fighting in big areas the game gets REALLY slow. The following are my eMac specs

Processor: 1 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 512 MB SDRAM
Graphics: ATY,RV200
VRAM: 32 MB
Producer: ATI
Resolution: 1024x768 Refresh:89Hz

As you can see the minimum requirements are matched and slightly surpassed, considering that Halo is a 2003 game. I think i've read somewhere on the Bungie FAQ that i need to update my graphic driver, but the update software included in the CD (ATI stuff) doesn't work: it says no ATI card is present on my Mac. WTF? Isn't ATY RV200 another name for the Radeon 7500??? Anyone can help me? I understand that you guys all have uber powerful G5 computers, but i'd like at least some advice to run Halo better. I've tried the lowest settings possible, like switching to 640x480 and eliminating particles, details, decals etc., but it's running even slower than the previous 1024x768. Halo's a great game, but i can't really say i've enjoyed it, with bad graphics and slow gameplay. I'm not really good when it comes to graphic on Apple computers...

EDIT: i think i've posted this help request on the support application "help" aswell, but i'm not sure what i did exactly, i'm a newbie to this site...sorry if i double posted anyway.

Back