Hard disk noise in new 17" 1.67ghz Powerbook

Nosh

Registered
I'm curious to know if anyone else has this issue. I recently received the new 17" 1.67ghz Powerbook. It comes with the Seagate 100GB 5400rpm hard disk. What I immediately noticed over the previous model is that the hard disk makes a lot of noise, even when idling. Not a constant noise, but once very few seconds you'll hear a short *c-click* and then after it, a single softer click. The intervals between when this happens are random, do not seem to affect system performance, but will always occur. I also makes, less frequently, a noise that sounds like the hard disk heads are slamming against the wall of the drive case. I thought this could be the new sudden motion sensor parking the hard disk heads. I turned off the SMS as per Apple's instructions to do so, and this sound has ceased, though the first sound still happens. (The fact that the SMS is parking the hard disk heads could be because I'm using a Griffin iCurve to hold my powerbook up, and the sensor doesn't like the angle it's being held at, or the vibration through the desk.)

Anyway, if anyone has had these problems with any of the new Powerbooks and had success dealing with it, let me know. I'd also like to know if anyone has the 100GB hard disk and DOESN'T have the problem.

Thanks,
Nosh

i have as similar issue with my 80gb drive. i think it might be slightly different though because its only when reading data. it makes these weird noises, kinda like the clunk of death on a pc, just before the drive is going to die. every time it clunks, i loose more data due to corruption...

He's referring to his Powerbook. In the other thread, he's dropped some stone figurine or something on his Powerbook and that's caused his drive to go wonky. Unless you've done something similar, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, I just bought the OEM Seagate 100GB 5400RPM drive for my 1Ghz Tibook, and it's making similar noises. So it's all Seagate's doing. As long as my drive doesn't die, I'll be fine.

God, i have the exact same problem!
80gb Fujitsu Drive in new Albook 15''

Clicking and clacking from the drive, at random times basically when it's not in use! Extremely annoying.

I tried removing the "put hd to sleep when possible" but nothig.

Only when i have the temperature monitor on, in continuous monitoring (every 10 secs) then the sound stops

How do you disable the SMS feature?

Any ideas about solving? Apple service?

Back