Hard Disk Problem

MXERYZ125

Registered
i bought a firewire hd from laCie and i had it on a os x for about 3 months now and i just built a pc with windows xp and i was wondering how or if i can make a partition in xp then copy the files from my mac to the pc :confused: ? i hope someone can help me thanks

MXERYZ125 :confused:

try this, I have no idea if it will work

Copy all the files from the FW HD to your mac, then use Disk Utility in OSX to format the FW HD in DOS FAT format, now check to see if windows will recognize it, then see if the mac will recognize it, then move all the files from the mac back to the FW HD and everything should go fine

This works because Windows has a slight problem reading Mac formatted discs, but Apple says OSX can read FAT partitions, if this is true, what I described above should work. But I don't think OS9 will be able to read the FW HD without third party software, but that is the best solution I can think of.

try this, I have no idea if it will work

Copy all the files from the FW HD to your mac, then use Disk Utility in OSX to format the FW HD in DOS FAT format, no check to see if windows will recognize it, then see if the mac will recognize it, then move all the files from the mac back to the FW HD and everything should go fine

This works because Windows has a slight problem reading Mac formatted discs, but Apple says OSX can read FAT partitions, if this is true, what I described above should work. But I don't think OS9 will be able to read the FW HD without third party software, but that is the best solution I can think of.

i copied all of my data to another hd and then erased and formated to MS-DOS using Disk Utility in OS X and it works fine there but it wont boot up on xp or i dont know how to access it...o by the way its a firewire hd

do you have a firewire card in your PC, is so, then the firewire HD should be located in My Computer as either a letter above C, depending on your internal HD and CD ROM Drive situation. Because if Windows XP won't read a DOS formatted firewire disc, that is its problem, not yours not mine.

P.S. I have never tried a firewire HD on any version of windows or at all, I have never used a firewire HD in my life.

P.S.S. But you say it worked in OSX? Try this just for verification that it is fat. When the firewire HD mounts, Control click it and click "Show Info" then in the show info window under format is should say DOS Fat or something like that.

Good Luck

yeah see well i formatted the hd on os x and it just says dos file system doesnt say anything about being a DOS fat. maybe i can format it on the windows machine and then try to mount on my mac...i dont know how to format it on the windows machine any help would be appriciated thanks

im having pretty much the same problem.

i have 60gb drive in a firewire kit and it works great with osx, but i cant get to it with win98se. Im tempted to dismantle it and stick it in my pc, but its a bitch to put back together...

please post if you figure anything out

don't know what to tell you, I have never used an external drive of any kind on either Macs or PC's but if it makes you fell any better

WINDOWS Sucks

yes i do agree that windows SUCKS big time...i have been using os x for sometime now and decided to build a pc and bought windows xp...and let me tell u, if u dont already know, that os x is SOOOO superior in almost everyway..it just makes me sick that microsoft has so much of the market that they can sell an inferior product and people will buy it...just my 2 cents :D

agree,

everytime I have to go and use one of my Families PC's I am always dissapointed in some way, tells you something huh?

yeah before i used to be ok with windows using it at school and stuff but now that i have it in my home i think i dislike it even more, now that i use it more often

Back