Hard disk slave startup problems

Matsaki

Registered
I have a Blue and White G3/400 at home.

I have 2 internal hard disks which I know have the right configuration as Master and Slave. How ever I changed the possition of the disks, I am not able to startup from my slave hard disk as computer do not find the hard disk/system folder's. I have been told that this is a common problem of the Blue G3, but havent been able to find out exactly what the problem is, and if there is any fix to this =(

Somebody suggested me to make the 2 hard disks master and the CD slave. Can that work??

There are two types of blue and white logic boards. One will support master and slave ide hard drives and the other will not. If your hard drive carrier is a long metal tray that can hold 3 hard drives then your computer will not support master/slave. If the hard drive carrier has two connectors and can hold 4 internal hard drives then your computer will support master and slave, all that assumes that you have not had a logic board replacement.

The bus for the cd-rom and zip is a different type to the bus for the hard drives. Your best solution is to get a pci hard drive controller card and connect your drive to it.

I have the older type B&W G3 without support for slave hard drive as you describe, but the slave I installed can be used without any problems, but not as a startup disk ??

Back