Hard Drive Issues in Windows via Boot Camp, but not in OS X

Axlin

Registered
I'm having a very strange problem. Whenever I install Windows XP on my MacBook via Boot Camp, my hard drive flakes out while in Windows. It begins making scratching and clicking noises, the system locks up, and then I get a blue screen saying that there was a hardware failure. The part that has me confused is that I have no issues whatsoever while in OS X. Everything runs perfectly there; my hard drive doesn't even make any noise while I'm in OS X.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. I've uninstalled Windows, repaired the disk after it was restored to a single volume, and reinstalled Windows. I have done the same process, but using a separate Windows XP CD to see if it's an issue with my copy of Windows, but it turns out that it is not since I'm getting the same issue no matter what XP CD I use. Finally, I have taken my MacBook into the Apple store, where they diagnosed my hard drive, told me it was fine, and told me to wait a few weeks before trying Windows again; I followed their instructions (how exactly is waiting supposed to help in the case of a possible hardware issue, anyways?), and still I'm having the problem. I just can't tell if this is a hardware issue or a software issue (the problem being Windows). It seems like a little of both. How exactly can I go about approaching this issue? Is there some sort of disk repair utility like Disk Utility for Windows that I could try? If it is a hardware issue, how can I convince Apple that my hard drive is faulty?

Thanks in advance.

Disks have a feature called SMART. It means that the disk knows when there
is something wrong. It might be that the Windows driver can check the
SMART status. However, Disk Util also shows it, so I guess the Apple store
should know if there is actually some wrong with your disk...

All I could find was the full version of DiskWarrior. Is there a trial version so that I can just diagnose the hard drive this one time? I just bought $400 in books for school today, so spending another $100 here isn't really an option.

Back