hard drive name? Weird question I guess......

Jim W

Registered
On my iMac the hard drive is called "Macintosh HD", I noticed on my son's Mini it's called "+-*"....I'm pretty sure this is the way it came. Any ideas as to why?

Also with mine, if I install something to the applications folder it gets placed alpahabetically in the folder and right in line with everything else. On the Mini it just gets tossed randomly on the side of everything else. So when I use finder to view Applications, I need to scroll right to see recently installed stuff.

Nothing has been done to the OS, it's as it was right out of the box. (running since Xmas)

thanks!
Jim
(loving Mac since 7/05)
:)

Sounds like both Macs just have different settings set. Regarding the name of the hard drive, just clicking on the name allows you to change the name to something other than "Macintosh HD."

As for the view settings, if you head View on the Finder menu and select Show View Options, you can configure how icons are viewed on the desktop. If you leave that open and then open a window, you'll notice that the Vie Options change to coincide with the window that's at the forefront of the desktop. That keeps you from having to go into the settings each time. You'll also notice tabs to configure the View Options for that particular window or all windows at once.

Typically, the startup volume (your hard drive) would be called Macintosh HD. Did you son maybe change it accidentally? You should be able to change it back without an issue by clicking it, pressing the Return key, and then typing the new name, followed by Return again.

Regarding the arrangement of the icons in the Applications folder, try this...
1. Open the Applications folder.
2. Click the View -> Show View Options menu item in the menu bar.
3. Make sure that "Keep arranged by" is checked, and then select how you would like to arrange the icons (name, size, kind, label, etc.).

Also, take note that, by default, when you bring up the Show View Options window, you are editing the view options for all Finder windows. If you only want to change them for the window in question, be sure to select the radio button at the top titled "This window only".

nixgeek said:
Sounds like both Macs just have different settings set. Regarding the name of the hard drive, just clicking on the name allows you to change the name to something other than "Macintosh HD."

As for the view settings, if you head View on the Finder menu and select Show View Options, you can configure how icons are viewed on the desktop. If you leave that open and then open a window, you'll notice that the Vie Options change to coincide with the window that's at the forefront of the desktop. That keeps you from having to go into the settings each time. You'll also notice tabs to configure the View Options for that particular window or all windows at once.
Looks like you typed faster than I did, nixgeek. :)

ok thanks!

I was going to try to change the HD name but was worried about any file associations that may be hooked to it.

Mac OS works differently to windows in that respect, you can change any of the folder names along the path to a file, and the file will genreally be unaffected. file associations are intelligent enough to work it out.

I was going to say exactly that Burns, but I then thought about other folders like Library and such. Not sure if renaming those might have some ill effects on OS X. :confused:

Back