Hard Drive problems w. Panther

Bob K

Registered
I have a b/w g3 300 w/ Panther installed - there are two Drives, the original 6Gig HD and a second Western Digital 40Gig drive.

When I startup, the 2nd drive is not recognized (it was in Jaquar) and I get a "do you want to initialize" message.

Disk Utility "sees" the drive, but will not allow me to mount it or repair it (Invalid file or directory ID found, Volume Check Failed)

The three partitions are listed, greyed out, as Disk1s9, Disk1s10 and Disk1s11

Norton sees the drive (as untitled 1, 2 and 3) and tries to repair it but it crashes Norton before it finishes.

Disk Warrior (the lite version that comes w/ Norton Systemworks) Sees the drive and can get some of the data, but buy no means all of it, some of which hadn't been backed up (of course) and is (of course) very important to me.

I ran fsck on the startup disk and it was ok, but does anyone know how i run it on the second drive? the Startup drive is fine, it's the secondary drive that's not being recognized.

I've exhausted my Mac Geekiness - anyone help?

My bet is the drive has failed, get the data you can get off of it and be happy you got any of it. That is the nature of hard drives unfortunately.

Brian

Before you completely ditch the drive, check the jumper settings -- on newer Mac computers like the MDD G4, you can set the drives to "CS" or "Cable Select" and the computer will assign master and slave accoringly, automatically.

On older computers like your B&W and my G4/PCI, you have to set master and slave manually by the jumpers on the drives. Set your 6GB to master and the other to slave.

Also, another think to keep in mind is whether or not you have a revision 1 B&W or a revision 2 B&W machine. The revision 1 machine does not support having slave drives and so you're limited to one internal drive, unless you purchase a PCI ATA card with which to run the secondary drive (like a Sonnet Tempo ATA/133). The revision 2 doesn't have this one-drive limitation.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Before you completely ditch the drive, check the jumper settings -- on newer Mac computers like the MDD G4, you can set the drives to "CS" or "Cable Select" and the computer will assign master and slave accoringly, automatically.

On older computers like your B&W and my G4/PCI, you have to set master and slave manually by the jumpers on the drives. Set your 6GB to master and the other to slave.

Also, another think to keep in mind is whether or not you have a revision 1 B&W or a revision 2 B&W machine. The revision 1 machine does not support having slave drives and so you're limited to one internal drive, unless you purchase a PCI ATA card with which to run the secondary drive (like a Sonnet Tempo ATA/133). The revision 2 doesn't have this one-drive limitation.

Well the drive worked when I had Jaguar installed, but when I upgraded, it somehow bacame corrupt....I should have to change the jumper setting just because I upgraded my OS, should I?

That's a tough question to answer, since Apple doesn't tell us what changes between versions -- but sometimes, yes, you do have to change a setting or two.

For example, in OS 9 and OS X 10.0 and 10.1, my SCSI drive worked perfectly on my old 8500. When Jaguar came along, it no longer worked -- I had to change a jumper on the drive to delay the spin-up of the drive for 5 seconds. Apparently, as OS X matures, it becomes more picky about certain hardware settings... if you were around when OS X was first shipping, people were having all sorts of problems with RAM and OS X. OS X is pickier about the quality of RAM you put in your machine. You may have not experienced any problems under OS 9, but under OS X, the RAM was no longer "good enough."

At any rate, without rambling, it wouldn't hurt to check the jumpers. Sometimes, with a new system software, the software can be "pickier" about the configuration of hardware. Just make sure your 6GB is master (and plugged into the LAST connector on the IDE ribbon cable) and the other drive is jumpered as slave (and connected to the middle connector on the ribbon cable). Hopefully that'll solve it -- if not, come back here and we'll try to help more!

Back