hard drive space disappeared

eltim

Registered
i searched the forum a bit and only found 1 thread about this, but it didn't help much. so i apologize if this has been covered.

about 2 hours ago i was on here watching a video in quicktime pro, and after i closed it, my hard drive space was very quickly going down, from 17gb all the way to zero - out of a 150gb HD. i restarted twice, and only 2gb came back so far.

any one have some recomendations? i'm running whatsize now, and it's taking quite a while, so maybe i'll find something in that - but according to the other person who had the same trouble, it helped barely.

the apps i was running at the time - safari, itunes, aim, snak, proteus, amule, azureus, quicktime pro, aol chesire.

but the only things i was doing anything at the moment in were aol cheshire and quicktime.

thanks in advance.

thanks the links. diskinventory helped - i found a console.log file that was 15gb big, as opposed to the 20mb size of the other files.

totally unsure how it happened in the first place though... so odd. been using macs for like 15 years and thats the first time that one happened.

Reading it _might_ have helped in finding the reason. So if it happens again, you might want to open Console.app and look for something repeating over and over again, filling console.log quickly.

i actually tried doing that in the first place, but i'm guessing because that file was so big - the console application would keep freezing up and i'd have to force quit.

who did that post you were on about? Also I had the same problem. I can't remember how i sorted it lol.

hey im having similar problems with my mackbookpro 2.3ghz 2gb ram
120g hd its pretty much brand new and ive only installed adobe cs2
call of duty and some other small apps and ive only got 34.32g left
i ran the program from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...nventoryx.html and it shows itunes as being the biggest consumer
of space only 45g now i want to know how much spare space should i leave for best performance if any ?
i want to install final cut pro but its to big so i guess i will scrap that idea...
how much space does os x 10.4 use?
is there some way of compresing these files?
or should i delete some of my music (witch i dont really want to)?

by the sounds of it, it sounds like you have a lot of music and are not surprised by how big itunes folder is.

How you allocate your hard drive is really upto you. 34gb sounds enough to install final cut pro but if not, then I guess it comes down to what you desire more; final cut pro or music.

It looks like you might have iTunes set to "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" You should check around to make sure you didn't accidentally duplicate your entire iTunes library

i had the same exact problem, a log file appearing that took up 15gb of space. Disk inventory seems to help take care of the problem. thanks for the links!

What is the probable cause of 116 GB dissolving down to a mere 16 GB in one day?!

SYesterday I had at least 116GB of my original 250. What gives?!?!

I haven't been downloading anything massive. I've just been doing a lot of video ripping and editing as of late. The only explanation I can think of is some malicious malware downloaded and unwittingly is taking over all the free disk space I had. I knew I should have been more cautious when google warned me about checking out that particular search result. I thought Macs weren't prone to internet illness.

Just when I thought my days of computer related woes were behind me now that I've forsaken windows for Mac OS X....

Back