Hard Drive Space

kadampa

Registered
Greetings,
My MacBook Pro recently shows I am using about 130 GB of its 233 GB hard drive capacity. When I add the GB's of all its constituent folders, I only see 75 GB being used. What has happened, and how can I resolve this.
I've run Disk Utility, and the disk and permissions check out fine.
(On my G5, everything adds up, and I've just noticed this discrepancy in the last week.)
Thanks,
Jim

Check for any 'old systems', brought about by OS upgrades, archive & install, that sort of thing. If things are working tickety-boo with the present OS, you can safely discard any old systems that might be on your hard drive.

thanks for the response - but I don't find any old systems. There's an empty folder for "Previous Systems" on my G5, but no such thing on the MacBook, nor can I find anything visible in the Finder view of the hard drive which adds up to more than about 75 GB, rather than the 123 GB shown as used when I Get Info on the hard drive. I'm stumped.

thanks for the response - but I don't find any old systems. There's an empty folder for "Previous Systems" on my G5, but no such thing on the MacBook, nor can I find anything visible in the Finder view of the hard drive which adds up to more than about 75 GB, rather than the 123 GB shown as used when I Get Info on the hard drive. I'm stumped.

Sorry, yes, the terminology is 'previous', not 'old'.

Okay, next session: what might you have been doing recently that would duplicate large files? Backups? Have you been loading a lot of music or movies, or working extensively with iPhoto?

Remember too that there will be a discrepancy between the Get info figure of the HD and the tally of folder sizes. The OS occupies a certain amount of your 233 Gb capacity, but not that 55 Gb size difference.

Added: I knew I'd seen something like this before ... http://www.derlien.com/

Last edited:
Thanks again - took a break to listen to the debate. I *did* try to use the laptop to backup some imports into Lightroom on the G5, but the entire import was only about 4 GB, and Lightroom said it didn't work (for yet some other unknown reason - was an experiment as I learn that program).

Have a call into AppleCare, who first tried to tell me that the laptop just had alot of invisible files. (50 GB?!) Have a case number, and may get a more knowledgeable person there tomorrow. I'd sure like not to have to do a clean install ...

I appreciate your thoughts

Also check if there would be a location /cores
(go from Finder, 'go to folder' > /cores)
If there is that can take a lot of space for different crashdump files of various programs.

Back