harddrive trouble

dubplate_mahn

Registered
i have a b&w g3 with 2 ide hardrives 1 ibm 6,1gb drive(master) and one 80gb westerndigital drive(slave). the problem is that the 80gb disk keeps losing and scrwing up the catalog btree(and all the other catolg trees), rendering the different partitions unmountable and in constant need of reformatting... not funny at all.
any ideas?

I haven't a clue to why that would happen. I can only lead you down a path that may help you.

Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com. They have a Hard Drive compatibility database that may indicate if others have the same problem as you do.

Double-check your jumper settings. Use the model number info from the drives to get jumper setting info from the manufacture's web site.

Is the drive that is causing the problem connected via the built-in IDE Controller or by a PCI IDE controller. If it's connected by PCI, try connecting it to the built-in controller.

Lastly, try installing the system just on the problem drive without other drives installed to see if it's just the drive that is having the issue and not a combination of devices.

If you tried all this and still have problems with the drive I would check up on the warranty of the drive and have it replaced. Most drives have a 5 year warranty.

Hope this helps.

not that it will solve your problem , but it will make curing it easier.

you might want to invest in a good repair and optimization program rather than reformatting all the time. i reccomend diskwarrior/plusoptimizer as a first choice. techtoolpro is also a very good one. i have my own biases against norton/symantec but they are ok if you get the latest versions. (actually be sure you have the latest version of any of them.

Originally posted by dubplate_mahn
i have a b&w g3 with 2 ide hardrives 1 ibm 6,1gb drive(master) and one 80gb westerndigital drive(slave). the problem is that the 80gb disk keeps losing and scrwing up the catalog btree(and all the other catolg trees), rendering the different partitions unmountable and in constant need of reformatting... not funny at all.
any ideas?

I'll recommend nulling out the HD completely :)
There is an option for that in the Disk Utility app, I think.

Back